User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best reflective material for indoor terrariums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer the mylar question at walmart
    -
    No we do not sell rolls of mylar, but as someone pointed out we DO sell "emergency" blankets or "space blankets" as others call them, which is just a mylar sheet, in my sporting goods department, the company who makes them that we have, is called Ozark Trail.
    i use mylar on my tank and have not had a problem with it. its just a pain to keep straight and wrinkle/scuff free... but if you can manage to keep from moving it around or having prying hands play with it, it is great stuff...

Mylar burning cannabis, sorry but these plants are certainly not cannabis, which i have experience with growing (legally of course, when i was a designated grower for a family member i shall not name for security reasons). And even then, I never had a problem with mylar causing leaf burn on them, if the plants are kept well hydrated and the light source at the right distance, there should be no reason for the mylar itself to cause any form of leaf burn to the plants... more likely the problem would be the heat from the lights, and how mylar (holding in more light) will keep it a wee bit warmer, drying out the plants faster than normal and boom, brown leaves...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    The most durable would probably be mirrors?
    I actually wanted at some point to have mirror-walls for my triangular tank. I asked the glassworkers to coat the glass with silvering. They said it wouldn't work that way. One of my crazier ideas, I suppose.

I've seen both mylar and panda white, under different names of course. Mylar is better, but still didn't completely satisfy me. (I've actually reversed it and used the black side for some time. It's a cheap aquarium background, too.) I wonder if there's any kind of reflective material that would match a mirror?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered thick white foam boards at Walmart. I'm planning on covering one side with aluminum foil and when placed on the walls of the tank the foil would be facing in towards the plants.

Thoughts?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acrylic mirror sheets work great. I use them for the sides and the door.

Like this:

http://www.estreetplastics.com/Plexi...thick_s/38.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod30 View Post
    Acrylic mirror sheets work great. I use them for the sides and the door.

Like this:

http://www.estreetplastics.com/Plexi...thick_s/38.htm
    That is sooo cool!

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    To answer the mylar question at walmart
    -
    No we do not sell rolls of mylar, but as someone pointed out we DO sell "emergency" blankets or "space blankets" as others call them, which is just a mylar sheet, in my sporting goods department, the company who makes them that we have, is called Ozark Trail.
    i use mylar on my tank and have not had a problem with it. its just a pain to keep straight and wrinkle/scuff free... but if you can manage to keep from moving it around or having prying hands play with it, it is great stuff...

Mylar burning cannabis, sorry but these plants are certainly not cannabis, which i have experience with growing (legally of course, when i was a designated grower for a family member i shall not name for security reasons). And even then, I never had a problem with mylar causing leaf burn on them, if the plants are kept well hydrated and the light source at the right distance, there should be no reason for the mylar itself to cause any form of leaf burn to the plants... more likely the problem would be the heat from the lights, and how mylar (holding in more light) will keep it a wee bit warmer, drying out the plants faster than normal and boom, brown leaves...
    hmmm, I must have stepped on someones mylar....
    I mean no disrespect here, and we all agree...anything is better than allowing the light to escape the imediate area.
    In the words of the late "Sgt Joe Friday"...."just the facts Ma'am". Do some research on light reflectivity materials, you may be surprised.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    That is sooo cool!
    Yeah, that's wonderful! And quite cheap as well. Unfortunately I've checked the local prices though and they're ridiculously expensive.

EDIT: apparently because only larger sheets are available. I wonder if I could cut it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before my current setup, I used mylar. They sell different thicknesses, and I used a thicker kind. It let no light through that I could discern, plus it was very resistant to crinkling and was easy to work with. I got it for cheap from some online hydro store (don't remember who now..been a few years).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast