Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Highland cooling system using slightly modified A/C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    It's a fairly small chamber, 18" by 18" by 24". It's the vivarium shown in this thread:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125388
    Very nice dude . I have an exo terra exactly the same. I house my lowlanders in it. Here's a link to a tour of my setup.

http://ontariocarnivorousplants.foru...nivorousplants

Where in the terrarium are you going to put the peltiers? at the top?

I have a plastic cover which protected the evap fan from hitting the rad. I'm thinking of mounting it back on and putting a high CFM computer fan on it. see the pics below.

I'm thinking of using either 2 of these:
    http://www.sohodiffusion.com/prod/16...URE-FAN-3.html

or one of these:
    http://www.sohodiffusion.com/prod/15...-CASE-FAN.html

What do you think is betteR? 1 big one? or two small ones? the smaller ones have the same CFM as the big one, so im thinking 2 smaller ones are better than 1 big one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say get the two smalls fans instead of one big one, honestly.

I'm going to be using just one peltier cooler which will go at the top of the terrarium. Basically there will be a sort of cover that goes over the top of the terrarium, and inside will be the peltier cooler. I am going to have two fans at the back pulling out the hot air produced by the lights. The peltier will have a fan directly under it which will pull the colder air into the tank. The peltier unit itself is controlled by timed thermostat to keep it 70-75 in the day, and 50 at night.

Here's a pic of the new top I put on the tank. Basically I took a sheet of clear acrylic and cut it to fit inside the original Exo-terra top, and cut a hole in the middle. I used silicon to adhere it to the top:

Your set up looks good, by the way. What kind of lights are you using over your lowland tank?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    I say get the two smalls fans instead of one big one, honestly.

I'm going to be using just one peltier cooler which will go at the top of the terrarium. Basically there will be a sort of cover that goes over the top of the terrarium, and inside will be the peltier cooler. I am going to have two fans at the back pulling out the hot air produced by the lights. The peltier will have a fan directly under it which will pull the colder air into the tank. The peltier unit itself is controlled by timed thermostat to keep it 70-75 in the day, and 50 at night.

Here's a pic of the new top I put on the tank. Basically I took a sheet of clear acrylic and cut it to fit inside the original Exo-terra top, and cut a hole in the middle. I used silicon to adhere it to the top:

Your set up looks good, by the way. What kind of lights are you using over your lowland tank?
    Nice job with the acrylic, I'm gonna run out to the homedepot and get me some too now lol. Currently i have a piece of glass above mine but it's a little to thick for my liking.

I use t5 54watt HOs for both my lowland and highland tanks. I have 32 watt T8s over my drosera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

When the AC turns on the RH was dropping to 30-40% before my humidifier could turn on and compensate, which alarmed me. So I decided to try and reduce the exposure of the coils to the humid air in the tank.

First i took a regular bag and completely sealed the rad, took the fan off and placed it outside the bag, blowing on it. Didnt really do much in terms of lowering the temps, but the humidity didnt change. So I then decided to take a plastic box and seal the rad with the fan inside the box as well. I sealed the top of the box but left the bottom open. I then tested this and it still didnt cool much. So I then cut a small hole behind the fan so that some air would be pulled through. Now the RH drops to about 55%-60% and then the fogger comes on and quickly raises the RH back to 75%. Once the AC turns off the coils are kinda wet and the fan blowing over them also raises the humidity. I just checked the tank and it's at 88% RH.

The AC turns on when the temps hit 24c and then turns off when it gets to 23c. The coils are still cold so it still reduces the temps down to 22c and then starts to rise, so the AC doesnt actually run all that often. I set the night temp to 12c, so it shouldnt go below 10c i figure. I'll be testing the night temps tonight.

I put the villosa about 2inches from the rad, so it should be getting some really nice cold temps. My singalana is beside it too. Warmer highlanders are on the other side of the tank.

Do you guys think that the 2-5 minutes drop in RH to 55-60% will upset my plants? I think it's short enough not to bother them much. Any input would be awesome Smile.

I'd post some pics but my GF went on a road trip and took the camera, so I'll post some next weekend when I get it back.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all - Rob, great looking setup! I'm growing some lowlanders & intermediates in a partially-sealed grow rack right now. I get temps between 70 and 80 and humidity between 50% and 85% or so. To branch into highlanders I will need some sort of cooling system. I'm thinking to do that, I would need a tank... my rack just isn't well-sealed enough.

@soopaman - would you mind PMing me a link to that eBay listing? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything that matched the price and description. I would be very interested in trying that out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    First of all - Rob, great looking setup! I'm growing some lowlanders & intermediates in a partially-sealed grow rack right now. I get temps between 70 and 80 and humidity between 50% and 85% or so. To branch into highlanders I will need some sort of cooling system. I'm thinking to do that, I would need a tank... my rack just isn't well-sealed enough.

@soopaman - would you mind PMing me a link to that eBay listing? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything that matched the price and description. I would be very interested in trying that out!
    It would probably work with your grow rack as long as it is enclosed. The AC would just have to run longer and more often to compensate for the lack of insulation. I put a 4 inch thick board of insulation under my HL tank and am thinking I might box the section of the tank where the rad is with some more insulation.

If you want to do an AC setup like mine and have any questions just PM me.
    cheers,
    Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would LOVE to do that setup... unfortunately due to crappy wiring in my apartment, my lease limits me to ONE A/C unit of 6,000 BTU max... and I choose to cool myself rather than my plants That's why I'm trying to get creative with cooling... and Peltier devices look like they fit the bill. That's a great setup you have, though. Very jealous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    I would LOVE to do that setup... unfortunately due to crappy wiring in my apartment, my lease limits me to ONE A/C unit of 6,000 BTU max... and I choose to cool myself rather than my plants That's why I'm trying to get creative with cooling... and Peltier devices look like they fit the bill. That's a great setup you have, though. Very jealous.
    Thats too bad, but you can still use some of the power of your AC to cool your plants. You can hook up a tube onto a small section of the vent from the AC unit and have it run right into your tank. Just make sure to intersect the tube with a humidifier before it gets into your tank.

Thanks for the kudos on my setup .
    cheers,
    Rob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast