What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Showcase

Phase 1 is complete.. Please keep in mind that this was just day 1 and it is not yet finished. Tomorrow I'll be going back to fill in the tray with media and will be planting the Sarracenia then. I'll update this thread with pics as the showcase comes along.
Thanks again Tony for supplying the plants and helping to make this possible!

I used a mix of 2 orchid bark, 2 LFS, and 1 perlite..

100_7322-1.jpg

Got the plants all potted up after mixing 10 gallons of media..

100_7323-1.jpg

The grow space..

100_7331.jpg

Using 2 of these liquid cooled 400w Hortilux halides..

100_7342.jpg

And some plants..

100_7332.jpg

100_7335.jpg

100_7324.jpg

100_7325-1.jpg

100_7327-1.jpg

100_7338.jpg

100_7330-1.jpg

100_7336.jpg

100_7333-1.jpg

100_7334.jpg

100_7337.jpg

100_7339.jpg

Still a lot of work to do yet to make it a more natural looking grow area.. but I had to start somewhere. And after 5 hours of work, I don't think I did too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...I like....to make it more natural, you could fill the tray with Live LFS...maybe with driftwood poking out here and there......assuming you could find enough live moss.

Very nice! That would definitely bring back into a store.

Wow...I like....to make it more natural, you could fill the tray with Live LFS...maybe with driftwood poking out here and there......assuming you could find enough live moss.

no live moss avail. for free this time of year.. and by the time I can get it, the mixed media I put down will be growing just fine. I've got a bunch of Thuidium (fern moss) I'm going to put down, and the Sarracenia will be growing up in between the neps out of the mix. I think it will look quite nice in due time.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a lot of mouths to feed ;)

Whoaaa :love:

:spazz:
Oh god, all the plants are real stunners!
And the setup is absolutely...It's all so much bigger and awesome than I was anticipating.
I can only imagine what it'll be like as it gets all naturalized and stuff :spazz:

You've done such an incredible job!
:-D

So how exactly does the cooling system work on those lights? I'm guessing the water is pumped to some sort of radiator on the outside of the tent?

Whoaaa :love:

:spazz:
Oh god, all the plants are real stunners!
And the setup is absolutely...It's all so much bigger and awesome than I was anticipating.
I can only imagine what it'll be like as it gets all naturalized and stuff :spazz:

You've done such an incredible job!
:-D

It's definitely a work in progress.. :blush:

So how exactly does the cooling system work on those lights? I'm guessing the water is pumped to some sort of radiator on the outside of the tent?

not 100% sure on those.. I'm still learning about these halides. The cylinder over the bulb itself is actually filled with liquid that cools the lights. I was able to see that much before I went blind.
Anyone know a good place to get some exotic tropicals and/or maybe some live pieces for this display?

Last edited:
Truly amazing setup mass. I guess you will be moving all your plants into there? I am sure they will love that lighting. Damn!! Yeah man! You can surely pull off a vision similar to the BE displays with that much grow space. :)

Looks great! Those lights are crazy! I'd love to know how hot they run.Tillandsia plants should do well in there. Some bromeliad should do well too. Can't wait to see everything color up! If your going to set it up with sprayers some ghost wood would be cool to see.

Looks great! Those lights are crazy! I'd love to know how hot they run.

You can literally put your tongue on them and not feel a thing..

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much do they cost? That sort of intense lighting with minimal heat is exactly what I need.

They are the most expensive halide from what I understand. Not sure of the exact price, but I can indeed find out for you. There is a link to what they are in the General Discussions "showcase" thread..

That setup is beautiful. I was wondering how you had your water cooled lights set up. Are you recirculating the water through a chiller/heat exchanger back through the water jackets on the lights?

Mass, you outdid yourself. It looks very nice, and I wish I lived in Michigan so I could come and view it.

thanks man. I'll check it out.

Back