What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just pimped my grow rack

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
So I just went shopping for some supplies to make my grow rack look a little more professional (and keep more light from spilling out into the room -- my girlfriend who is preparing for the MCATs uses this room to study).

I went from this:

fe082c08.jpg

To this:
19f2e3b3.jpg

b61ca094.jpg

1d630302.jpg

8eb04edb.jpg

...my cat is a camera hog

I used 1/32" thick sheets of opaque gray plastic to cover each shelf, the top, and the back of the rack. I used an old black towel to cover the sides (to allow for more air flow), and a cheap set of vinyl miniblinds to cover the front. I'm pretty happy with it!

yah for cats! Nice view out that window.. just pull the shades and WAHLAH!

Nice!, but I was expecting gold chains, huge feathers, and bedazzeled growracks...

Hmm that's interesting - how do you have it set up? Got any pics? That thing is small and cheap, so I'm interested in it right off the bat. It might be good to pick one or two up to keep my newly ordered Nepenthes happy :)

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Sorry, that was for eou812. But thanks, carnivoure12! You know, I did just get back from Mardi Gras, so I can pimp it with beads !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with carn - no spinners?
Nice work though. The shades were an interesting choice. Looks a little bit... I dunno... mad science-y with just the lights coming through. XP
~Joe

Haha, yeah - i hoped they would have blocked the light a little better than they did. I was really looking for something that I could raise or remove easily that would allow air flow and would look better than a crinkly flap of shade cloth and mylar. Vinyl blinds seemed like a cheap solution. Maybe should have opted for faux wood, though, because a good amount of light still does leak out into the room.

I will take pics tomorrow ok? Right now i have it in a bowl of tap water because since it is ultrasonic it means you can use tap water and it will make it usalbe to use on your CPS someone please correct me if i am wrong and i think so far it is really neat and will bring humidity in my new grow rack my highest humidity in their with the fogger the highest it had reached is 90% relative humidity. But i only ran it for 5MIN.! So i would get it but i need to make sure it's ok to use tap water if not i will put it in the bowl that is put my plants in to sit in water that has of course disstilled water in it and one thing it can not be dirty water but i love it and when your not using it and company comes over you can put it on a coffe table or a table in a bowl with water and it will look pretty neat.

You could lower the blinds over the mylar and shade cloth - all the reflectivity, about 90% less ghetto looking.
~Joe

Yeah I could, but it would be a real operation getting into the rack - pulling open the blinds then rolling up the mylar. It's thick mylar, too, so it's cumbersome to flap open. That's part of the reason I took on this pimping project.

I'll see if I can get some cheap metal or faux wood/bamboo blinds for less than $20 or so... if not, I'll deal with what I got!

Ah, I see. Well, if you could find one of those roll-up blackout shades, you might be able to get some really thin mylar, like an emergency blanket, and glue it to one side. If the shade was white on the back side, between that and the mylar I think you'd get almost zero light transmission.
~Joe

Excellent idea! I'll keep an eye out for those too. Thanks!

Man, that's a great operation you have there! I love the idea of using shutters as the light barrier, that's the first time I have seen that implemented.

I hope all your Carnivores are loving it in there. :bigthumpup:

Why thank you! Yeah, it's a surprisingly low-cost option. Just a cheap set of blinds and a few worm drive hose clamps to hold it in place, and bang! A handsome grow rack.

My plants do like it in there, in spite of my blunders. I think once summer time comes and ambient humidity rises a bit they'll be happy campers for sure.

Cool very creative and i just got this and it works great if i can figure it out i will post a video of it later it is a ultrasonic fogger and if i am correct can't i use it with tap water and then it will go through it then it will be ok to use on my CPS? Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200556788029&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

hmmm, Am I getting this right? you want to use the water from the bowl the fogger sits in to pour on your CP's?
This would not be good unless the original water is pure. The foggers merely "excite" the water with ultrasound to make the fog. No purification occurs, just the opposite, a concentration of minerals build up as the water leaves the bowl as vapor/droplets.
I use pure water to charge my reservoir the fogger sits in, I don't want to bathe my Nepenthes in chlorine gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
No that is not it your not right i don't pour the tap water on my plants i am now using disstilled water for the fogger instead of tap but before you were wrong.

OMG! Your kitty looks just like mine :3

peteralert.jpg

No that is not it your not right i don't pour the tap water on my plants i am now using disstilled water for the fogger instead of tap but before you were wrong.

Thanks,
I was confused.???
I love the foggger for the fact you can put it on a timer and forget it....just gotta watch the water level in the res.

That's ok and i just went to go and try it with disstilled water and it doesn't work i go and put it in some tap water and it works so what's the deal is it just the disstilled water soen't have enough pressure or what?

Back