Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another humidifier question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what my rack use to look like:

The tube you see through the bottom shelf leads to that PVC T-connector, where the fog came out from the humidifier which was kept outside the rack to keep the water and, therefore, the mist cool.

The front was also enclosed, normally. Now I just leave it open and humidify and air condition the entire room, but I had it this way for almost a year with no issues. I learned, though, that it's typically easier to keep an entire room inside favorable parameters than it is an enclosed rack - smaller space means things go wrong more quickly, like a fan failure cooking your plants (which happened to me; presumably, the humidity killed the fan. Looked at the wireless temp/humidity gauge in the living room to find it was 96 degrees in my rack and promptly sprinted upstairs to open the rack and windows. >.>;; ). That, of course, assumes it's feasible for you to keep an entire room within plant-happy limits, which it probably isn't if it's in a living room or something.

Hope any of that helps. ;/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey... very helpful! Thanks! The room is actually very small, so it's definitely feasible to humidify the whole place. Thing is, it's my girlfriend's study that these plants are in, and I don't want to up the humidity in the room in the middle of the summer. It can get quite hot in that room (easily 85+ degrees on a hot day) and the humidity would make it that much less bearable for her as she studies for her MCATs!

What kind of fan did you have that it failed in the high humidity conditions? Curious to hear about that.

Thanks for your advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was one of those basic Honeywell ones... I'll see if I can find it...

Here we go, something like this. Dunno if it was the same model, but same brand and design. It still turns on and I can hear the motor working, but the blades don't move. It might just need too be cleaned out, I don't know. I've always just assumed it was the humidity since I can't imagine a motor with all those coiled up wires and such taking 80% humidity very well, LOL.

It's too bad about it being a used room. Mine is a spare bedroom, the only purpose of which is to house plants. Makes it much easier. I've learned really quick that a cool, humid room is really refreshing, everything smells and feels fresh and clean. A hot, humid room is freaking miserable. LOL.

EDIT: One thing I should mention about the lights in the enclosed space with high humidity: no safety concerns, or at least none that I ran into, but the fixtures and the rack itself did end up rusting a little bit. I guess that's sort of inevitable, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I know. The drawbacks of living in a small apartment in NYC! Hot, humid, summers and NO FREAKING A/C!!

Anyway, I was thinking about this humidifier... how does it sound? I like the idea of using replaceable bottles as reservoirs. Low-maintenance, easy to refill, etc.

I can deal with a little rust, as long as there are no electrical fires!!!

Yeah, I think I'm going to go through with it. Temps in my rack topped 90 degrees last summer. Enclosing the rack will be a risk, but adding fog to the mix should keep it cooler (...right? Do I remember my thermodynamics correctly?).

I'm not too worried about my fans failing. I have some pretty hardcore AC equipment cooling fans I got here - each pump out 36CFM and are built like bricks. I just want cooler, happier plants!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12