What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nevermore's new bog (movie!)

didnt take records...maybe 5 bales (10 of the smaller 3cu ft bales)...plus a bunch sand tubes

Last edited:
well, since the weather today is getting up to 50 (again)... it's been a warm winter. I decided to check on the bog under the "cage" i made and straw covering. I had been pumping water out of the bottom water reservoir every week or so... trying to keep the water down a bit in winter.

So the cage structure pretty much flattened out from the weight of the wet straw. It left only about an inch of empty air space between the media and cage. I guess mice decided it would make a nice little home this winter. There was a few small tunnels and then a single nest (pictured below). I also found a handful of pistachio shells that the must have carried from my compost pile 50 feet away. I just threw the ones that i couldn't open into the compost. They didn't seem to do any damage to the plants. Only one vft was disturbed. All the plants look like they are in fine health (again though, we have had a mild winter). I would guess that just throwing straw or pine needles directly on the media would still allow mice to nest anywhere.

I ended up taking the cage off and wiring the base together so that it can't collapse anymore. This will return the large air space like i originally intended.

The straw bits that fell through to the damp media did on small mold/fungus growth, but not too much and the plants didn't seem to care. I will drape the original screen with burplap next year to keep this from happening.

Can't wait until the official growing season!

Nest
ee.jpg

d.jpg

updated bog

Here's the update on the bog. I had to cover the bog several times last month from the late freezes we got. It burned and stunted a few of the plants. The first to fully pitcher is my 'Leah Wilkerson' which sent up a nice large pitcher. The rest are just now catching up in size and pitchering well too. On a South Carolina vacation I was able to meet with David Crump (Carolina Carnivorous Gardens) on the way back at a North Carolina farmers market where i bought a 'Starry Night', 'Yellow Jacket', a misc purp hybrid to add to the collection too. He was a great guy and invited me to see his full nursery the next time in am passing through.

I had also thrown some extra stratified seeds into a small section of the bog and they are all popping up. Does anyone else seed plants directly outside? I have an a bunch growing inside, so this is just a test.

bog-2.jpg

lw.jpg

lw2.jpg

bog looks great :D I love seeing the first handful of pitchers form in the spring. Im up in Mass so my bog is a bit behidn yours but have my first few pitchers newly opened and the VFTs are putting out nice traps

As for seed sowing, I threw some filiformis seed out in mine in early spring this year but they may ot have gotten as much cold as they needed.Might have to wait until next spring to see any germination.

I've been trying to work out a trade for Wilkerson, but the guy hasn't responded for a while. Nice plants all around though.

I just got the one in trade last year in trade. It did well last year before the fall and has taken off this year. I am hoping it makes the super tall pitchers as it's suppose to.

I have my second psittacina that i am working on.. but it seems to be sulking again. My first one died last year.. and now this one isn't looking the best either... boo.

Back