Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a few questions about moss I found on my property..pic heavy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't say what species it is but it would probably be OK because quite likely it won't live too long in a terrarium. Most outdoor mosses die before very long when put in terrarium conditions. Whether it's too warm, too bright, too dry, too stagnant air, wrong substrate type, you name it, wild mosses will find a reason to die... sometimes just to spite you!

I love mosses and I try all kinds every year that I find for sale or while out in the woods but most don't survive long term in a terrarium. I have a few that have survived but the death toll of various types I've tried is seriously astounding! Sphagnum grows very well for me in terrariums but I can't grow it outdoors at all. If you get a good fist sized clump of live sphagnum and pull it into 1-2" pieces and scatter them around/partly bury them with the "head" facing up and keep them sprayed with water every day or so it should start to take off for you provided the terrarium isn't too warm. Even sphagnum doesn't like it overly warm..

If you are growing in an air conditioned fog filled highland chamber your chances of success with outdoor mosses will be much higher but still won't be able to grow everything. So whatever you're growing conditions are, give it a shot and see what happens. It'll either live or die but I don't believe it can harm your plants provided you don't let it overgrow them and make sure they get watered enough that the moss doesn't steal it all! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Most outdoor mosses die before very long when put in terrarium conditions. Whether it's too warm, too bright, too dry, too stagnant air, wrong substrate type, you name it, wild mosses will find a reason to die... sometimes just to spite you!
    Below is a picture of some mosses I took from outdoors here in Northern Scotland. Winter temperatures here are typically single figures to sub-zero. Summer occasionally reaches mid 20'sC. This moss has survived in my ampullaria terrarium, which has a daytime temperature of ~30C, where it has been growing for a year or so. So, some cold adapted mosses seem to survive almost tropical conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some cold adapted mosses seem to survive almost tropical conditions.
    Yep like I said some will survive, I have a few temperate mosses & liverworts who have survived and are growing well. It's not gonna hurt to try and see which will do well for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    Mass, I was referring to our thread starter here

I believe his name is rockhoppernc
    yeah.. I didn't catch that until just now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i have had the moss in my terrarium for a week i guess now and it is still alive with a little growth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12