Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Highland Chamber setup 2.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob, yep I do the same in summer (mid June - mid September) but instead of disassembling the AC I just put it in the window and mount the fan to the front of it the fan pulls the air from the AC output and lets the rest of the AC blow into the room and cool me off as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty cool! Good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Hey Rob, yep I do the same in summer (mid June - mid September) but instead of disassembling the AC I just put it in the window and mount the fan to the front of it the fan pulls the air from the AC output and lets the rest of the AC blow into the room and cool me off as well.
    nice ! I'd do the same but most AC's will not cool below 68*f, and the evap fan located against the cooling rad removes humidity from the air. With the modifications i did to my AC it now cools down below 0*c and i also removed the evap fan so that there is no extra loss of humidity.

To note I also have an AC in the window of the room during the summer to cool the room during the day. The AC in the tank is so that i can achieve cold temps during the hot summer nights.

I'm guessing that you intersect your AC with the humidifier like you currently do with your window setup so that you dont drop the humidity in the tank? Can you get your tank cool enough with your AC setup? or does it only cool down to the tank into the high 60s?
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second seedjar's concern about the humidifier. Drilling a hole in it, if it's anything like the ones I've seen, will simply allow air in and, thus, give you a small pond to play in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 8000 BTU AC will get down to 60*F it's not quite as cold as I'd like (50-55*F) but but it's enough to get them through those two or three difficult months depending upon the weather that year. The only difference in the setup for summer is that the input fan is infront of the AC output instead of the window. The humidifier tube stays plugged onto the duct just as it is now so the AC air doesn't come in all desert dry and cause the lids to drop.

My humidifier has a large screw cap opening on the bottom and a plunger type thing that bubbles when it rises up and allows more water to come out. But if there are any concerns with leakage by drilling a 1/2" hole on the top of the humidifier tank where the handle is then I won't bother trying it. I can't risk flooding the condo downstairs... again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 8000 BTU AC will get down to 60*F it's not quite as cold as I'd like (50-55*F) but but it's enough to get them through those two or three difficult months depending upon the weather that year. The only difference in the setup for summer is that the input fan is infront of the AC output instead of the window. The humidifier tube stays plugged onto the duct just as it is now so the AC air doesn't come in all desert dry and cause the lids to drop.

My humidifier has a large screw cap opening on the bottom and a plunger type thing that bubbles when it rises up and allows more water to come out. But if there are any concerns with leakage by drilling a 1/2" hole on the top of the humidifier tank where the handle is then I won't bother trying it. I can't risk flooding the condo downstairs... again!
    If I were you I wouldnt drill a hole into your humidifier. tanks like those work on pressure in the tank to keep the water in, and if you break the seal the water will just continuously pour out of it.

If you want to get your AC cooler, just move the thermostat away from the cooling radiator. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

The thermostat is the black wire in the top middle of the rad. Just move it away from the rad and you're AC will cool even more. You can also insulate the thermostat to get it even colder. You can access the thermostat by just opening the front panel (if you have one with a filter in the front just remove the filter and you'll see the thermostat behind it). You dont have to take anything apart.
    cheers,
    Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, yeah mine is a front filter type model. I'll take a look and see if I can find the thermostat when I go to bring it back from my storage bin in a couple months. I may send you a PM later on asking for more info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, yeah mine is a front filter type model. I'll take a look and see if I can find the thermostat when I go to bring it back from my storage bin in a couple months. I may send you a PM later on asking for more info.
    Sounds good Swords. I'll be patiently waiting for your PM .
    cheers,
    Rob

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast