Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Highland Chamber setup 2.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highland Chamber setup 2.0

I had "quit" Nepenthes and all growing of plants in late 2006 early 2007 but I have been slowly sucked back in starting with succulents in 2009 and vivariums in 2010 and now (inevitably) here is my new Highland Nepenthes chamber. It's based on the same principle as my old one but using a new controller the Zoomed Hygrotherm.

Before triggering the controller:

After:

The fog gets so dense at times you can't see anything but I've got it set to stop before anything gets wet so it stays nice and high but not too high. I've still gotta fidget with the fan and temp settings, it's too cool! LOL

The Hygrotherm controller can be set for daytime temps and night time temps down to 50*F. Humidity can be set between 15 and 95% RH. The photosensor on the controller display senses the terrarium lights going out, room lights, TV, PC, etc will not prevent it from going into nighttime mode so that's nice for night owls like me!

This piggy back cord for the controller accepts 2 and 3 prong heating/cooling and humidifying appliances and the LED lights up to show which appliance (or both) are running.

And here is the meat and potatoes of the whole thing: PC fan in the window, 4" diameter duct tube, ultrasonic humidifier plugged with a piece of 2" diameter sump pump hose that intersects the duct to humidify the incoming air when the humidity drops.

Just one day after moving my stuff in here I THINK I may actually be witnessing a Nepenthes inermis germinating, can anyone confirm from this crummy pic? It's definitely not moss, I've watched that germinate in all my other Nepenthes seed pots... LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you could use a LOT more live LFS.. wink wink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is way too cool. Well done. *goes to check price on Hygrotherm*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best price I could get was $75.50 or so with shipping off ebay. A regular greenhouse humidistat is $80 plus shipping and that doesn't control a fan for day & night settings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm, not bad at all! I'm trying to come up with ways to essentially turn a room of my house into a greenhouse... It's got 2 south-facing windows, so I can utilize that light as well. Just gotta figure out the cooling and a nighttime drop. I'm thinking a fan in the window set to come on at night and pull air in from outside should do pretty well. But that leaves the window open to lose all the cool air during the day. Might have to attempt constructing my own louver for it, which would probably suffice. But anyhow, yeah, the Hygrotherm looks like a valuable piece of equipment to undertake said project. Thanks for that! XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you built your room set off from the window you could use a larger hydroponics room fan with the Hygrotherm (it handles up to 1000 watts) and have it pipe the cool air into it like this tank only on a far larger scale. I would like to do that myself someday, make a room like nerd has done but probably out of this insulation foam and wood frame cos this insulation is pretty awesome at keeping lower temps inside. My condo is always hot but I'm not having any trouble keeping the tank cool even with 4 x T5HOs over it.

Looks like you could use a LOT more live LFS..
    I grew all this from a fist sized clump in a 10 gallon tank inbetween pots I'll use it to pot up the new baby arrivals root systems and use what's left to seed the floor of this tank inbetween the pots. It should grow really well in here compared to the warm and stuffy 10 gallon it was in with no real air flow and random humidity fluctuations. Not sure if I should fertilize the moss very lightly or not some is bright white but I don't wanna get any algae or molds started up. I notice some T. viridis or something gross brewing ontop of one cutting pot in that shot there with the white thermometer I've gotta get rid of that....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could tell it was home grown.. Looks GREAT! Lemme know if you want some more. I can easily accommodate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The master....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast