User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the maximum effective distance for Neps under T5s?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get my bulbs for 5 euro each, t5 would be more expensive for me bec i can only get those in bulk.

Something also worth considering is what kind of reflector ppl use.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Pet T5 High Output fixtures are not the same as T5 fixtures from the hardware store.
    I have these, Swords: http://www.hydrotechhydroponics.com/...ent-lamp-6400k

It's pretty bright, at least to me :P
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see. Yes those are nice, the 4 ft tubes are twice as bright so have more reach than the shorter tubes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, they really do sound hot. And more powerful than I thought. I mainly avoid them due to the heat problem. I have a hard time with just the heat from t8's. And with limited space, I'm not sure I could place my bulbs high enough above my plants to avoid burning them, especially as they vine.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nightsky, if you have trouble with the temperatures from T8s than stay away from the T5 HOs. There is no noticeable temperature increase with my T8s, but with the T5 HOs it's like having a heater in the living room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to hijack this thread a little bit and expand the conversation out to T8s. I'm really struggling with the choice between T8 and T5 at the moment. Every single sign seems to point to T8s as being the right choice for me:

• T8s are cheaper to buy
    • T8s are cheaper to run
    • T8s run cooler, and I already have issues with heat in the summer, even in ambient room temperature alone!
    • T8s are more readily available at local stores

The only problem is this: I built my Nep shelves tall... about 2.5 feet each. I have plants on one shelf now but am about to buy and mount lights to another shelf... hence my question. After redoing my rack last weekend, I now have my neps 14" from my lights measured from the top of the pot to the tube (just checked this morning). The shelf I'm about to build is a little bit taller than that one.

I've got a lux meter on order so I can make a more educated decision, but in the mean time, does anyone here have experience growing Neps under T8s at distance that might be able to humor my musings?

My fear is that T5s are really the only choice that makes sense given my current configuration!

Cheers!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not so sure how you can say t8's are cheaper to run, watts are watts... regardless of lighting format

4 foot T5's are 54 watt and 4 foot T8 are 32 watt so yes, they are cheaper because they are lower wattage and putting out less energy. Since the T8 bulb has a larger diameter you have less luminance and a much less efficient reflector. So at the end of the day, I would argue that T5's are cheaper to run if we look at the actual energy the plant recieves per electrical watt of energy consumed.

Again, T8's run cooler due to their larger physical size. This larger size disspates their heat loss over a greater area, likewise since they are only 32w compared to the T5's 54w they will definitely generate less heat. So you are producing less heat and spreading that heat out over a great surface area.

If you have 54 watts of T8 in one room and 54 watts of T5 in another room of equal size, I would say it is safe to assume you would see a nearly equal temp rise in each room. Even though the T5 would hotter to the touch.

And careful with Lux meters, they may be wavelength dependent (and likely are, you need spectrum analysis to really see the big picture)

Cant really make such black and white statements mate,
    Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 09-14-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Av! Yeah don't worry, I know the efficiency argument very well; that for a given number of watts, T5s convert one form of energy into another with less loss to heat. That's clear... I'm simply talking about the raw power usage of T5s vs T8s - if I ran a 4-bulb T5 fixture instead of 4 T8s I'd be using 216 watts instead of 128. My landlord, who pays my electric bill, would not appreciate the difference

I was really asking for people's experiences relating to T8s and how high people run their lights over their Neps with good results as compared to the same question with T5s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast