Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Grow Rack Re-Pimping Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I just took on a new project to deal with the heat from the lights. Rather than moving the ballasts to the exterior of the rack, I just installed heatsinks on the lights!

I also added a fan to the top of the rack along with a cardboard baffle (sort of visible in this shot) that draws the heat right off the top of these heatsinks.

The temps in my rack stayed in the high 80's... approaching 90 at times... but after I finished this mod, the max temp now seems to hover around 82 degrees. Success!

I also moved my humidifier inside the rack. I figured it doesn't take up a whole lot of room and now I don't have to worry about annoying condensation in the pipe that can collect in the wrong places and grow stinky things.

All said and done, I get temps between about 70F and 84F with humidity between 55% and 100%. Maybe I can start branching out in my Nep collection now??

Finally, I picked up one of these bad boys:

It's an 80CFM AC-powered duct blower. This will be perfect. I find the problem with CPU fans is that their airflow spreads too quickly; waving your hand around it, the air seems to flow from it in a wide cone. So if you try to direct it all down a straight duct, they just don't have the oomph to push all the air through. I have a 4", 60CFM fan but I DEFINITELY don't feel 60CFM on the opposite side of the duct. This in-line fan should do the trick! Plus, it's only $5 more than the 4" CPU fan was at Radioshack.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply awesome. I love it. If that were mine I would be very proud of it. I love the constant innovation/improvements on projects like this.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I really appreciate the compliment! I certainly am proud

I forgot to mention... I switched the 1-1/2" diameter pipes for 4" diameter ducts for dryer exhaust. It really improved airflow for sure. That's what led me to purchase one of these 4" inline blowers... and will probably be purchasing a second soon to replace my 4" CPU fans.

Which reminds me... anyone want to trade me something for some barely-used 4" CPU fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooo, excellent! It looks good, AND it's functional! I was going to use one of those Inductor fans, but I don't have any electrical experience whatsoever and would rather not start a fire. LOL. It would be nice, though. I'm sure it'd be more effective than the ghetto rig I have now. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electrical experience - hang on, does it require anything else than a hookup to hot, neutral, and ground? It just has three wire leads sticking off of it. If it needs any more than that, then perhaps I'm not too comfortable installing it either!! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need is to match the colored wires but make sure you buy a heavy duty enough grounded cord to power the Inductor and appropriately large connector caps to seal all wire joins so none of the metal of the connections ever touch because crossed connections will spark and start fires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'oh, that does sound very easy. And I assume the power cord would also be available at Home Depot?

Might have to switch out the fan I got, then, for the official thing. >.<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the inductor fan just has 3 wire leads, so make sure you get the 3 prong plug (hot, neutral, and ground). Although if it's as loud as swords says it is (haven't tested it yet) then I may have second thoughts. The Radioshack AC fans I have are actually very quiet... although not as powerful.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast