Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Grow Rack Re-Pimping Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have any air flow over those heat sinks to help dissipate the heat? if not, they'll just eventually stop providing much benefit. very nice project you have here. looking forward to future updates.
    --------
    z

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i say open up one of the fluorescent lights and see about moving the ballasts outside you grow chambers. They are making all of you heat. From one of mine that falls apart periodically ( that i use to start garden seeds ), it looked like the ballast is just a completely separate box with the wires. They are made to be replaceable, so therefore removable. You might just have to lengthen the wiring a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ zlookup - Thanks! And yeah, I've got a fan that exhausts hot air out of the top of my rack. You can see it a bit better in this pic:

The heat sinks are on the left, the cardboard baffle is on the right, and the exhaust fan (hard to see) is directly above the baffle in the top right of the pic.

@ nevermore... maybe I'll open up one of the lights to see what they're like. I'll definitely need some longer wires. But the terminals on the ballasts themselves... how would I protect them from contact (and potential sparks)? Some sort of insulating box maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here's a little update. I moved my grow rack close to the window, so I can stick the air intake duct right up against it. This will be crucial for achieving a nice temperature drop in the fall and for regulating heat during the winter... although I fear that my grow rack will remain unacceptably hot during the hot summer months (I nearly lost a bunch of plants this summer when temps in my rack approached 100F pretty regularly. Looks like the worst of the summer heat has passed now, thankfully

Here are some S. oreophila seedlings that I've been growing. They haven't really grown in months, although they're still alive. Hoping to see a growth spurt soon. I've got them on a 16 hour photoperiod along with the rest of the plants in my rack. I'm guessing a 24-hour photoperiod would work wonders as per the "indoor Sarracenia growing year-round" sticky thread in the Sarr forum. Maybe I should try it...

Mass' moss still growing happily it even sprouted some D. rotundifolia seedlings, but unfortunately they didn't survive a brief dry spell when I neglected to water the sphag cups for a week or so.

My Lowe's Death Cube S. purpurea is loving life at the moment! Might be time to repot into a 6 or 8" pot... whaddaya think?

Happy growing, folks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking TF. I had some sarracenia seedlings that were taking for ever to grow until I put them in full sun and then they really took off. Hope you get some good growth soon and thanks for sharing!

Btw, your S purpurea looks just like the one I bought from Lowes. I put it in a 2 gallon pot and its my best looking plant imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should start a new TF show.. "Pimp my grow rack"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Great idea! I'm a tinkerer so I have to re-do my grow space every few months, to the chagrin of my plants! I see a new TF competition - the winner gets a DC cooling fan or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see you back! I have to say, I got a lot of inspiration from this thread when I built my new grow rack

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast