Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Grow Rack Re-Pimping Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! A great compliment! I LOVE what you've done with your rack. What are you using for the fogger? And how are you keeping that whole rig cool (are you in an AC'd room? ventilation from outside?). Finally - what is the enclosure you have around your rack? I kinda wanna score one of those myself (that's right, it's almost time to re-pimp my re-pimped grow rack).

EDIT - never mind, I remember from reading your thread that you're using tin foil
    DOUBLE EDIT - D'oh! It's a walgreens humidifier. I'd love to see how you rigged it up if you wouldn't mind throwing a photo of that up in your thread! My mini humidifier is nice but it doesn't have quite enough kick to it; I'd rather rig something up externally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Rack.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TheFury

Actually, the "cover" is a mylar emergency blanket sandwiched between two clear vinyl shower curtains. My fiance sewed up the whole thing quite nicely

The rack sits in a perpetually cold house. I've never run the AC in this house... Eventually I'll even out with all the AC I used living in Austin. I did leave the front open though to prevent heat build up from the lights.

I'll try to post a few more photos of the rack and the humidifier rigging this weekend. I've settled on an arrangement and added a couple more plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, so even with the front open you can maintain acceptable humidity levels? Is your humidifier running all day? I had to ghetto-rig the front flap of my rack and then add all kinds of ductwork to compensate for the heat buildup, which in turn forced me to run my humidifier more often as I was constantly sucking the moist air out of my rack and replacing it with dry air from outside. Bah, physics!!

My problem right now is that if I want to expand my Neps out to a second shelf, I'll have to tear everything down and start over. At the very least I'll have to make my bottom shelf taller, as my tallest Nep (N. mirabilis) is already touching the light fixtures. So, I'll have to rethink the way I balance heat, humidity, and ventilation once I expand. Ideas welcome ... but keep in mind that the one thing I CAN'T do is air condition the room, as my lease bars me from adding AC units due to shoddy wiring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey sorry it took me a bit, but I got the picture you asked for.

The humidifier has an opening that JUST fits 1/2" tubing if you jam it in there real good. The electrical tape makes the included fitting sit snugly. The silicone tuning is run up to the top shelf. Originally I had the fog sit on the bottom of the shelf, but I've raised it up now with an orchid stake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, thanks for taking that pic. I'm gonna have to upgrade my humidifier. The miniature portable one I have is already getting worn out after a few months of constant use... Once I do that I'll probably just expand my whole rack to a third shelf to get some more space for my growing Neps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful thread! I think I'll try this project sometime this winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Looking forward to hearing about what you come up with. I'm currently gathering supplies to expand this rack to use all shelves on the unit... basically redoing the whole exterior. I'll be sure to update as I go along.

On the topic of supplies - does anyone know of a grow tent that will fit snugly around my 48x18x74" rack? That might be a less work-intensive and low maintenance option.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast