Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creative Cooling Solutions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input! Would I "get what I pay for" if I sprung for one of these?

Also... what if I picked up a liquid CPU cooling system and somehow rigged that to a fan to chill the air it blows? Thinking about something like this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey joe, yeah Im alive.... I have neighbors with trees down and a barn is setting on a house down the road, but no damage at my place...

no electric yesterday... but all is well mate, what an April

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

that is not the type of chiller we are refering too...

something more like this:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaEuroU...INQCBC-vi.html

1hp = 746watts and 1 watt is a little over 3.4 BTU's/hr IIRC

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what that is in the eBay link, but it's a lot smaller than what I had in mind. The one I've seen up close was about the size of a big toaster and could hold a 100g saltwater tank with very hot lights over it at 55F on a hot summer day. Most have built-in digital thermostats that let you target a very particular temperature range.
    Glad to hear you're OK Butch. I've been sans TV for a long time now so I didn't know about the storms until someone mentioned it today at the NASC meeting. Hope there aren't any repeats.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a fountain pump from Home Depot, like $20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up Av and seedjar. Prohibitively expensive indeed.

Has anyone looked at something like this? It's a USB-powered mini "air conditioner." Basically it has this removable tank that you fill with water and freeze, and it uses that to cool the air. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have experience with anything like it, but my first impression is skepticism. o.o;;

EDIT: Perhaps I should elaborate. It just seems to me that, for long-term, effective cooling, you're going to need to be running that thing constantly, which means quick melting, which, in turn, means frequent refills+freezes. But then there's downtime while it re-freezes, but if you're depending on it being available, you might be SOL.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look on craigslist under for sale commercial/business - refrigerator. Plenty of glass door two/three door units for sale. You might even find a walk-in glass door as used by flower shops. You'd need to add a timer for the cooling circuit and beef up the lighting but there are already openings for the wiring for existing lighting.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaaaaand...BUMP!

I've been thinking more and more about Reaper's setup mentioned on page 1 and ways that I can finagle the system so I don't have to constantly re-freeze the ice packs. I've also been reading up on Av's experiments with Peltier devices and thinking of ways I can take advantage of those nifty gadgets.

Then I stumbled on this guy:
    http://www.target.com/p/Koolatron-Fu...5/-/A-10590839

It's an electric cooler that uses a Peltier device to bring the temperatures inside the container down to about 40 degrees below ambient, which for all but the hottest months of summer means it'd stay within 10 degrees of freezing in the ice box. It uses less power than a 40-watt light bulb, and it's quiet. Hmm, the gears in my head are just whirring around right now. If I filled that thing with water and ice packs, it would probably hold the cool temperature for a good couple of days before I needed to re-freeze the ice packs, eh?

Now the question becomes: once I draw the cool water out of that reservoir, how do I transfer the chill to the air inside my rack? 1/4" copper tubing looks awesome, but if I'm trying to chill the breeze from a 4" PC fan, I'll have to contend with the bend radius of that copper tubing... I likely wouldn't be able to get a complete loop around the fan without crimping the tubes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this cooler? How about small-scale heat exchange devices? Anyone ever tried something like that?

Thanks for all your advice!
    Edit: seedjar, sorry to dismiss the idea of an aquarium chiller... but seeing that it draws about as much power as an AC and costs $400, it's not a realistic option for me. Maybe some day I'll have the wiring (and the bank account balance) to run one of those things!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast