What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuff that looks good in my terrarium

The N. alata pitchers are bigger than expected.

I love your alata and ventricosa!... But for some reason, I don't like my ventrata as much as either the parents... :-D

Very nice collection!

I love your alata and ventricosa!... But for some reason, I don't like my ventrata as much as either the parents... :-D

Very nice collection!

Thank you! And yeah, I love N. ventricosa's tubby pitchers, and N. alata's long necks... but N. x 'Ventrata' seemed to get an awkward mix of the two. Oh well, it grows well and looks impressive to people who aren't in this hobby, so, I'm happy with it!

Thank you all for the kind comments!

beautiful looking neps ya got there :)

Thank you all for your kind comments. I finally feel like I'm growing some good stuff now!

But now for something kinda funny:

Does this N. sanguinea lid look comically large to you? (Formed naturally)

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

(And yeah, I know I have S. rosea growing in a tropical terrarium. The mother plant was declining last spring, so I took a pulling of it just in case. Mother plant died, but now I have this beast growing in the moss in my Mexican Pinguicula tray. It'll go outside once it gets warmer)

Thank's for looking!

I love to see Neps growing outside. I think I'm going to try puting a couple I have out on my porch this summer. How much sun are your outside neps getting? Dirrect, dappled, or a lot of bright shade, and how much of each roughly? Are the N. 'miranda' and alata also outside?
I also want to try N. gracilis. One of these days I'll get around to getting one. I have a medium sized lowland terarium that it would grow like crazy in.
Great plants :)

That lid does indeed look a bit oversized. Awesome looking though.

awesome looking lid, i agree though it does look a bit large :)

That lid does look huge. I'm going to have to try my larger Neps outside this summer, too. Just the lowlanders, though.

I love to see Neps growing outside. I think I'm going to try puting a couple I have out on my porch this summer. How much sun are your outside neps getting? Dirrect, dappled, or a lot of bright shade, and how much of each roughly? Are the N. 'miranda' and alata also outside?
I also want to try N. gracilis. One of these days I'll get around to getting one. I have a medium sized lowland terarium that it would grow like crazy in.
Great plants :)

Right now, the N. alata, x 'Miranda,' x 'Ventrata,' x 'Judith Finn,' and ventricosa are all right now in my University's greenhouse, getting probably something like full sun. In summer (so, the picture where they are clearly outside) they were in my veggie garden, and got at least three hours of direct sun, and were in shade the rest of the time.

Thank you everyone for your words!

Nice! my N. sanguinea has also produced some comical lids before. It's definitely a goofy plant. :lol:

I bought all these plants midway through summer 2011, and they're just now looking good for me.

H. minor, getting some curves in it's pitchers. No nectar spoons yet, though...
IMG_0266.jpg

N. densiflora, with a surprising amount of color, given that it's in a pretty low-light area of my terrarium.
IMG_0267.jpg

First pitcher for me, hopefully the next one look better (the opening looks a bit under developed, to me). Again, check out that color!
IMG_0268.jpg

Now this one, I'm really excited about. I bought an N. mira a few years ago, and I fought with it for quite some time 'til it kicked the bucket. So this is my second try, and I was so excited by it's development, I couldn't wait til the pitcher had opened before posting pictures!

So, ladies and gentlemen, my beloved Nepenthes mira!!
IMG_0271.jpg

Pitcher, not quite done...
IMG_0269.jpg

An intermediate pitcher my N. x 'Miranda' just finished producing. The next one is starting to look more strongly "upperish" in shape. I'm so excited that I finally have a Nepenethes that's producing such monstrous pitchers!
IMG_0481.jpg

Lately I've become really fascinated by the underside patterning of the lids...
IMG_0482.jpg

D. nitidula x pulchella
IMG_0463.jpg

And its flower
IMG_0431.jpg

N. densiflora, a tiny pitcher trying to look menacing with its little teeth!
IMG_0371.jpg

great looking miranda,proper monster

I haven't uploaded anything in a while, mostly because I don't exactly have anything *impressive*, per se, but I'm in a sharing mood, so, I'll put up a few that I'm proud of.

N. mira, pumping out pitchers left and right now.
IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

N. burbidgeae, actually pitchering for me! It made these two in quick succession, and now it's slowly working on a third.
IMG_0549.png

IMG_0550.png

And finally my little N. aristolochioides. It's been on the brink of death a few times now, but finally seems happy
IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Comments, critiques, and complaints are welcome,
CJ

Some of my outdoor Nepenthes. They only get a few hours of morning sunlight, unfortunately, but they seem to be doing pretty well.

N. alata
IMG_0698.jpg

So many pitchers!!
IMG_0701.jpg

N. x 'Miranda'
IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

I was thrown by your thread title. Because your terrarium looks like a monster GH!!

Thanks! My terrarium is just a 29 gallon glass tank, so not anything like a "monster!" I do take my plants out to photograph them, usually, maybe that's what's throwing you off... That and those last pictures are of the nepenthes I grow outside. But thank you very much for the compliment!

Last edited:
Back