What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow Chamber...Continued

Just a few updated pics after moving it back home after college. Old thread is here Grow Box

IMG_5999.jpg

IMG_6004.jpg

Ceph enjoying the light
IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5977-1.jpg

D. prolifera that wants to keep flowering..
IMG_5974-1.jpg

drosera petiolaris complex's recovering from shipping
D. paradoxa and D. dilatato-petiolaris
IMG_5992.jpg

Will keep this thread updated as things start to perk up from moving.

hrm...just a word of caution---the petiolaris dews like it very hot, much hotter than most pygmies will like (they would be put into dormancy) and i can see the D. prolifera putting up a fit as well. i would recommend moving the petiolaris into another tank, or in a tank in this space that can be heated up higher than the rest of the tank.

i've also given up on putting cephs and helis together....their conditions conflict to much and my ceph is suffering from it.

that being said, that which might not work for me, might work for you. good luck! looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hey there amph, thanks for the info. Was wondering how hot the petiolaris dews liked it..what would be a good heat source for their seperate tank?

Looks like you need some ping selection in there ;)

How much did it cost you to build the rack (if you don't mind me asking )?

\
D. prolifera that wants to keep flowering...

I'm getting really frustrated by my D. prolifera that wants to keep blooming. I wish it would understand that we're growing them for their LEAVES, not their FLOWERS.

Well, mine keeps blooming as weel, and I just use that to make more and more plants.

I don't think I've ever seen a mature and settled D. prolifera that wasn't flowering. As far as I know, it's the primary way they multiply, so I'm pretty sure all of them do it perpetually, at least once they're happy. It most certainly doesn't seem to be detrimental to the plant like it can be to other species, not in my experience. So I say sit back and let it flower - as monkey and I do - they're pretty for so small, and it only gives you more plants. ^.^

How much did it cost you to build the rack (if you don't mind me asking )?

The full chrome shelf costs around $75 with the application of 2 cans of rustoleum plus a $150light= roughly $225

Nerd- lol you know it. Hopefully I can manage to keep them in the same conditions

Usually an aquarium heater works pretty well. Either that or a reptile heating pad underneath their enclosure. You could also try elevating them closer to the lights but you will need an alternate source when you turn them off.

On a different note, I heard, like petiolaris dews, prolifera requires two genetically unique plants to create seed so I believe unstuckintime is correct. It does not self. It gets its name from readily spreading plantlets from older leaves when they come in contact with the moss.

Last edited:
I've attempted self-pollinating D. prolifera a few times with an itsy bitsy paint brush to no avail.

I just stick my flower stalk into the moss, and boom, new plantlet. Never tried to get seed...

You ready for your nep?

Hey there B. Not quite yet..only at home for a month or so until I move back out. Let me know if you feel like getting rid of it.

no worries Jay,

heck, its the best looking nep i got LOL

Back