Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building my dream bog. Step by step instructions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matopis, Hello, I live just north of you (Dallas). Your bog looks great! I'm wondering how your going to deal with our wet winters. Once Nov. arrives I take my Sarracenias out of standing water and keep them wet just by rain fall. It might take several drains to keep up with winter rains. I can't wait for updates, Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work.

i actually bought a bulkhead fitting for my bog. and didn't end up using it. I was worried about the freezing in the winter in my zone would crack the pipe or fitting. So if you are interested in a second one before you fill the bog for shipping alone let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack / Nevermore,
    For most of the winter I just left the valve open, so when it rains heavily, the water just drains out of the bottom. Next winter I may build a cover, similar to a cold frame to keep off the excess moisture as well as to jumpstart the plants in the spring. As you know this has been one cold and wet spring in the PNW and I wish I had more plants under plastic / glass.
    Nevermore - the bog is complete and I used a bulk head. I need to sit down and finish the original post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a cold frame would be great, but after reading some threads on cpuk I think I would keep it uncovered Nov. through Jan. to keep fungus under control. Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot,
    what did you use to make those drain holes? Are those mini bulkheads? where'd you get 'em?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matopis View Post
    Scot,
    what did you use to make those drain holes? Are those mini bulkheads? where'd you get 'em?
    I dont recall what they are called, but they are some fairly basic plumbing fixtures from Home Depot..nothing fancy. two sides, screw them together with a rubber gasket in the middle, and designed to plug in the clear tubing..lets see..(Scot heads over to google..be right back..)

(Scot comes back from google with no luck..)

I will take one apart and photograph it..
    its probably some kind of "quick connect" fitting..I just found them at Home Depot, with just a vague idea of what I wanted, saw these and thought "yeah..this will work"..I never paid any attention to what they are called!
    more detail coming soon..

Scot

Jeffnboston2002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In northeast MA I poked a few holes in the containers as I have them in the ground.

During the winter, I covered the area heavily with leaves.

The trap bowl is new and I will bring them in.

My S. are just waking up and flowering

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127189

Quote Originally Posted by zlookup View Post
    My goal is to build something like that starting next year, but my reservations were always with the climate. NE winters can be a bit frosty, so didn't know of the practicality of it all if it meant i had to uproot everything to protect them during their winter sleep.

Anyone have large bogs in NE like weather that has a good method for how to over winter their plants in the bog? Mulching or covering of some sort comes to mind, but exactly what works best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I sit in the cold and look out onto my dormant bog this January afternoon, I thought it would be fun to look back over some photos from summer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast