Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I have an ant problem in my terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an ant problem in my terrarium

Greetings. I have a carnivorous plant terrarium that I had growing under growlights on my windowsill. However, about a month or so ago, I noticed ants running through the terrarium. They are not fire ants or black ants. They appear to be regular sugar ants. They are feeding on all the nectar from the pitcher plants and are surprisingly not getting caught by the plants.

I have since moved my terrarium to a different location but I still have some ants in the terrarium. Any idea on how to get rid of the remaining ants? And before you ask, the plants are not eating them so that idea is out the window.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing up, my mother kept orchids out on the front porch. Occasionally, ants would make nests in the mostly bark growing media. What she would do it submerge the pot of the plant in water and they would all move out onto the foliage, at which point she would just wash them off.

If it happened to me, I would likely do something similar, but with perhaps some sort of insecticide treatment as well.

If you don't have a ant nest, you could try something like fly paper, or hell, even tape, to insnare them for good.
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995