Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE Starcoat T5 bulbs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GE Starcoat T5 bulbs...

I'm ordering a couple of these bulbs today, and a 4ft 2 bulb fixture. Think 10,000 lumens will too much for most plants? http://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-1161...ent-lamps.aspx

going into one of these: http://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-1137...-fixtures.aspx

This is going to go over a 4ft grow shelf, inside a little DIY terrarium/green house. Hopefully it doesn't get super hot. Will have to vent the hell out of the enclosure. lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GE starcoat is a very respected bulb.... Ive got a box of em somewhere myself, I experimented with them a few years ago...
    What kelvin rating did you get?

Whether 10k is enough depends on several factors such as species and distance to bulbs...

For my helis, I use 30k with plants within 4 inches of the bulbs.... and neps a good 18" from the fixture

FWIW

GE Starcoat spectra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They seemed like a good choice to me, looking over the specs. (I've been in the reef hobby a long time and work for a reef specialty shop, so i'm pretty versed in what to look for in lighting, helps that I can order these wholesale through work too. lol).

I got 2 6500k, I contemplated using one 3000k and one 6500k. Think the latter would be a better choice? I can always call and change my order real quick.

And yes, thanks, that helps. I want to grow helis at some point, so i'll def. end up adding more lights in the future, maybe to a second shelf.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mixing a 6500k and 3000k has the same effect as using 4100k.... my issue with the GE is the low red performance, too much energy is being used in the yellow and green spectra. But they do grow plants and as you know they are quite popular in the aquarium industry.

Adding a 3000k would bump up some of the red...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And bumping up a little red is better for photosynthesis = faster growth, correct? Looks like i'll go change my order and add a 3000k.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well its more complicated then just photosynthesis.... you have accessory pigments, wavelengths that are needed for beneficial bacteria, other wavelengths that inhibit phytopathogens etc etc etc

the photosynthesis curve is only part of the story...

we dont only want growth, we want color, form, dew/nectar production, long term health etc etc etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I shouldn't of said simply "faster growth", I ment more "healthy, thriving plant".

There's an age old arguement in the reef keeping hobby of "color vs growth".. 10k bulbs, with more white for faster growth(supposedly), or more blue, 14-20k, for better color, since the zooxanthellae in the coral tissues reacts to different spectrums of UV, and produces varying color based on the output of the bulbs. So 10k may mean faster growth, but it leads to brown, ugly coral.

So NOW i'm trying to learn what strategy is wisest when applied to these plants. lol. I'd LIKE to go LED, but I have a feeling i'd have similar experiences with plants as i've had with using them over coral. But it might be easier given that with plants we're probably looking more at Lumens and spectrum, and not dealing as much with PAR(i'm assuming).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that different, PAR and PUR is the name of the game growth wise. Lumens is a poorly used term in discussing the needs of plant growth, too much green/yellow bias.
    But for lack of anything better, it is often used.

You're way ahead of the game already....

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

LED thread of mine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast