User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for cooling down terrarium with water chiller?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for cooling down terrarium with water chiller?

So i'm going to have a spare 1/13th hp aquarium chiller free to use here in a bit, and I'm trying to think of a creative way to use it to cool down this terrarium/greenhouse i'm putting together. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe having a tray of water, like say a large kitty litter pan, or a plant water tray, full of water on the bottom of the terrarium and sending that water down through the chiller and back up again, keeping that water cold. Would this have much effect at all on the overall temp of the terrarium? Anyone have any other ideas that might work?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pump the chilled liquid through an automotive heater core in the grow rack. (exaclty like your car heater/ac system)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know absolutely NOTHING about car parts or repair so I think that might be a little above me. I could probably do it if supplied with a walk through, but thats about it. Good suggestion though.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Do you literally just set it inside the terrarium, hook up two hoses and bam, done?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look at this and it will make sense:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...mZ150615530407

i would put a small fan with it, you gotta move the air through the core...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh I think I get it. Yeah, just run the cold water through the core, and have a 6" fan blow air through it. Hmm.. now how would you control that via thermostat I wonder? Hmmm... I also wouldn't want to run the chiller 24/7 to keep the core chilled, because it would kill the chiller in a fast way.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Also, wouldn't it rust in the high humidity?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are thermostats on the market that seem to do well for this purpose

heater cores are usually brass... no rust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with what Av8tor1 said and use the automotive rad or a cpu rad depending on the size of the enclosure.

If you want a temp and humidity controller, I use a hygrotherm made by zoomed. I love mine. You can read about it here:

http://www.reptiledirect.com/zoomed-hygrotherm.aspx
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I think i'll go that direction... It'll be about a 4ft long by 12-18" tall, 18" deep space(one shelf on a 4ft metal storage rack).

What would you hook up to the controller exactly? The chiller is thermostat controlled by itself, and turns on once the temp of the water reaches the temp in which you set for it to turn on, and there is a 2 degree differential. So I dunno if this would work or not. You'd wanna set a fairly cold temp, say 50 degrees, which would then drop the temp of the metal heater core, causing the air going past it to be cooled. But the chiller would not be happy staying on 24/7 to do this, and it would ultimately kick he bucket and stop working.

I suppose i'll see how hot the chamber gets once everything is set up and see if i'll even need to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast