Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrarium Lighting Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 30gal. The height will be a problem in the beginning. You may want to make a bench or platform inside the tank to put the Nepenthes closer to the light. Eventually when they grow taller you can drop down the platform.

That light mentioned above will not work. You will need 3 of those with reflectors. I'd suggest looking for more t-5 HO's.

Items i recommend: Mylar/foil/aquarium backing material on the sides and rear of the Terrarium to reflect more lights towards the plants.

Note: Most Nepenthes will out grow the 30gal very fast. It is almost not worth it. I'd suggest a 40,50,55 at the very least and those are still small.

Petco has 1$ a gallon sale now so pick up the biggest you can find.

--
    I'm putting together a 40gal. I'd recommend for this is a t-5 ho quad 4x39 156watt. The color bulb (K) is best at 6500k/6700k

---I have extensive Poison Dart Frog and aquarium knowledge.--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @steve, thanks for the advice but from what I've read i think these will be sufficient for now (:

-

Now do I go for cool white or warm white, or a mixture of both?

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A "cooler" bulb will have a color temp closer to a daylight bulb I believe. I would still definitely plan on raising the plants up quite a bit. Not only would it help get more light bu it would also give room for the Nep pitchers to hang rather than restricting them to the bottom of the aquarium.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah thanks for the help Yeh I'm definately going to rasie them, approximately how close to the light should they be? I'll probably stand them on upside down pots unless anyone can share a more stable/natural look?

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now in my 12" deep tanks I have them placed on egg crate (light diffuser) that is resting on small PVC pieces. I filled in some of the space with shredded LFS to catch the water that drips through the couple small Nep pots I have at the moment. I didn't exactly want to see a bare-bottom tank with a few puddles...

As for how close, it will depend on exactly what you plan on growing as heights will vary. I would say as close as possible without the plants getting fried although that doesn't really help much. Right now I would venture to guess that all my plants are about 5-6" away from the lighting, maybe a bit farther.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of having like a clear false bottom standing on whatever that will allow me to lower it as the plants get bigger, thanks for the advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12