Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Lighting Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrarium Lighting Questions

I'm planning on setting up a terrarium and am going to use a 30 gallon fish tank, this is about 3 foot long, 1 foot wide and 16 inches high. I've been looking at these lights, although they're expensive and I think I'd have to use 3 to grow Nepenthes, some Drosera and some Heliamphora;
    http://www.salehydroponics.co.uk/sto...-Lamp-Kit.html

I've also been looking at these, whilst have a slightly smaller wattage output, theyre a lot cheaper so I could afford 4. Although I'm not even sure if these could be used to grow plants at all! http://www.bltdirect.com/product.php?pid=1402

Could anyone tell me if these would work or point me in the direction of a good place to find suitable lights?

Thanks for any help and advice!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CT,

That first light is a T5 strip light with no reflector, that would be a major inefficiency...
    You would be much better off with a common T8 shop light that has a reflector, and it will be cheaper.
    (Of course T5 with good reflector would be best, but the most expensive and heat may be an issue in a terrarium)

Dont buy any light that doesnt have a reflector of some type, remember... 66% of the bulb is pointed in the wrong direction.

;-)

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I hadn't thought of that, thanks! I've found the same light with a reflector and it is indeed pretty expensive, would I still need multiple lights if it has a reflector?

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Would this be suitable? http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/fish...nits-6667.html

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Sorry, the 'Arcadia Twin T5 Lamp Starter Unit - 24-39w'

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be a little much for the neps and a little weak for the helis...

so i guess its a good middle of the road choice... maybe put the helis in the center and the neps at the ends to balance things out a little
    It's nearly impossible to get too much for helis, that would be the least of my worries...

:-)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 06-30-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah thats good to hear (: Neps are my priority so if it's a bit strong could I just heighten it a bit? I'm assuming the answer is no but could a Heli survive on a windowsill or outside with my flytrap? thanks for the advice!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, you can increase distance... and plenty of ppl grow helis on windowsills and outdoors

but ill be honest, 39w may not be too much for neps anyways mate... compared to what many ppl use that isnt a great deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah thats good, thanks for your help!

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the depth of a 30 gallon I would (personally) try getting the plants closer to the light, especially the Drosera since most species dont get too tall. Even in my 12" tall terrariums I try to get the plants a few inches closer...
    -Josh
    Grow list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast