Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ways to keep my terrarium cool?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Not a single word about any reflectors used?

I'd suggest to use optimized reflectors with the lights and increase the gap.
    All four walls of the terrarium are covered with aluminum foil
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's talking about high efficiency reflectors for the fluorescent tubes. Without reflectors maybe 66% or more of the light from the tubes is not going where you want it.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    All four walls of the terrarium are covered with aluminum foil
    So, no real reflectors present.

I'm referring to parabolic or double-parabolic clip-on reflectors for T5 and T8 fluorescent lamps.

There are different brands available, here in Europe they are available as an add-on for aquarium and terrarium lighting. If you want to take a look:
    http://www.dennerle.eu/global/index....id=102&lang=en

Those things can double the light intensity that is sent from the lamp to the ground, as all of the light is used, especially the light that is sent upwards by the lamp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What powers the small fan and where can I get such a small fan?
    You can get the CPU fans from any computer store. They are anywhere from $3 to $25+. Often you can just get a used cheapy though.

Then you need to find one of these:
    http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...pter-L156-.jpg

It's an AC/DC converter which has a variable output so you can control the fan speed by changing the voltage. Just make sure the amps on the converter are higher than the fan draws otherwise you will have a problem. Cut the ends off of the fan and converter and twist them together. Check the fan works by plugging it in. If it's not working or spinning the wrong direction just reverse the wires. Then solder them up or twist them tight and insulate.

Some fans have 2wires and some have 3. All you need is the 2 wire variety but the three wire will work too just ignore the yellow one and insulate it with electrical tape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I removed the glass at the top of the terrarium to see what would happen.

The temperature went up from 90F to more than 100F. This is not an option.

I have a theory and if it doesn't work, I need to upgrade to a larger tank. Is the aluminium foil surrounding the tank keeping the temperature inside? I wrapped aluminium foil around the outside of the tank to keep in the light and I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this is creating an artificial greenhouse effect by trapping light (and therefor infrared energy) trapped inside the tank.

If this is the case, I'm left with three options:
    1) Replace the aluminum foil with something dark like black paper or something (it wouldn't reflect light like aluminum foil but the light is already powerful so I'm sure my plants would manage.

2) Remove any kind of sheeting from the outside of the tank, leaving my tank clear and exposed, but I'm worried about the brightness from the light and don't to have something like a floodlight in my room.

3) I upgrade to a larger tank. I currently have a 125watt light for a 10-gallon tank. I'm thinking with the same light in a larger tank, I could get more air circulation and it would take longer for the tank to heat up.

Thoughts?

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a thermometer inside the terrarium and it says it's about 90f inside. So far, my Heliamphora minor and Cephalotus are doing fine, ..... Thoughts?
    - what are your room temps (outside the tank)? What are night temps?
    - while you say your H. minor is fine, at 90*F, you're pushing the envelope (& many would say that you're far outside) for acceptable temps...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...perhaps this is creating an artificial greenhouse effect by trapping light (and therefor infrared energy) trapped inside the tank...Replace the aluminum foil with something dark like black paper or something (it wouldn't reflect light like aluminum foil but the light is already powerful so I'm sure my plants would manage.
    I may be not 100% on this, but this sounds like you're replacing one form of thermal insulation(for lack of a better word) for another.

The black lining you propose would absorb the light, yes, but it would be converted into thermal radiation, and re-emitted back into the terrarium. You might actually have a better chance sticking with the aluminum foil.

....maybe.

Someone who actually has a college degree should probably chime in on this, though.

-CJ
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    - what are your room temps (outside the tank)? What are night temps?
    - while you say your H. minor is fine, at 90*F, you're pushing the envelope (& many would say that you're far outside) for acceptable temps...

1) Room temps are 78F outside the tank. Maybe low 70s/high 60s at night.

2) I agree. I'm really worried about Cephalotus and Heliamphora. Honestly, they appear to have stopped growing (or at least reverting back to immature pitchers from the newest leaves starting to appear)

Wolfn's Growlist

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast