Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ways to keep my terrarium cool?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ways to keep my terrarium cool?

Greetings. I have an indoor terrarium with grow lights. It's a ten gallon terrarium with grow lights on the top. I leave the grow lights slightly off center so I have an 1.5'' gap at the top for air circulation.

I have a thermometer inside the terrarium and it says it's about 90f inside. So far, my Heliamphora minor and Cephalotus are doing fine, but my Drosera capensis 'red' isn't growing as well as it should (neither is my Drosera filiformis 'red' or Pinguicula caerulea).

I have a theory it may too warm inside. What are some methods to cool my terrarium? I tried applying wax paper against the glass sheet at the top of the terrarium to block some light and cool it down. It lowered the temperature about 5 degrees, but my Droseras didn't grow as well (they lost some dew and such because they need lots of light)

What if I remove the glass sheet at the top completely? I have a theory that the glass sheet is creating something of a greenhouse effect by keeping the infrared energy inside (much like a car with windows rolled up outside in the sun). I'm thinking about removing the glass sheet but I'm worried I would then have exposed CFL lights above the plants (and this could burn them).

Thoughts?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my terrariums are open topped. I've noticed it definitely helps with air flow, especially since I have an over head fan going almost constantly.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn the tank on it's side and use the glass as a "sliding door" adjusting the gap as needed. Or lose the glass top and raise the lights slightly to improve air flow under them.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding a small fan blowing directly on the lights should drop the temperature in the terrarium by about 10 degrees. I have a 4" case fan blowing on mine 24/7 and works wonders. Room temp is about 68-73 and my terrarium with glass top and small 2" gap for air flow rarely gets above 75. Lights are about 1" from glass top.

Before I added the fan I was seeing temperatures of 85+ degrees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Adding a small fan blowing directly on the lights should drop the temperature in the terrarium by about 10 degrees. I have a 4" case fan blowing on mine 24/7 and works wonders. Room temp is about 68-73 and my terrarium with glass top and small 2" gap for air flow rarely gets above 75. Lights are about 1" from glass top.

Before I added the fan I was seeing temperatures of 85+ degrees.
    What powers the small fan and where can I get such a small fan?

Wolfn's Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people use computer case fans and a 12 volt DC power supply. There are several threads either in this section or the general discussion section. Just make sure the power supply has enough amperage to drive the fan(s).

You can pay too much at Radio Shack for everything you need or try a local discount electronics surplus store or these guys:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...20/Fans/1.html

Why not just grow the Drosera and the Pinguicula on a grow shelf under lights? They don't need to be in a tank.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Many people use computer case fans and a 12 volt DC power supply. There are several threads either in this section or the general discussion section. Just make sure the power supply has enough amperage to drive the fan(s).

You can pay too much at Radio Shack for everything you need or try a local discount electronics surplus store or these guys:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...20/Fans/1.html

Why not just grow the Drosera and the Pinguicula on a grow shelf under lights? They don't need to be in a tank.
    I prefer to have all my plants in one growing area.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I leave the grow lights slightly off center so I have an 1.5'' gap at the top for air circulation.
    Not a single word about any reflectors used?

I'd suggest to use optimized reflectors with the lights and increase the gap.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast