Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    something like this?

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi..Where i live we have all of the above mentioned critters roaming around and causing havic. My bogs are in half whisky barrels and pots. the only problems i have are birds going after VFTs newly emerging from dormancy and squirrels hiding acorns in the fall. So each fall the barrels are mulched over the top for winter protection and have netting over them to keep the squirrels from digging. In the spring the netting is taken off, mulch removed and netting put back on for a few weeks to discourage the birds.
    Never had issues with deer eating them or raccoons though we get plenty of both in the yard.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! Those look like they would definitely do the trick. I think since my bog is going to be a lot bigger than then I'll probably just put up a chicken wire fence. Hopefully that does the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    something like this?

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Well that's good news to hear. My bogs will have to be in the ground though otherwise the plants will freeze and die. I'm hoping that doesn't increase the chances of deer and raccoons messing it up. The netting in the spring sounds like a good idea. Is that to prevent the small, tender growth of the emerging Sarrs?

Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    Hi..Where i live we have all of the above mentioned critters roaming around and causing havic. My bogs are in half whisky barrels and pots. the only problems i have are birds going after VFTs newly emerging from dormancy and squirrels hiding acorns in the fall. So each fall the barrels are mulched over the top for winter protection and have netting over them to keep the squirrels from digging. In the spring the netting is taken off, mulch removed and netting put back on for a few weeks to discourage the birds.
    Never had issues with deer eating them or raccoons though we get plenty of both in the yard.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I'm sure it helps protect the sarrs, my biggest issue was birds tearing up, and apart the vfts. I would see them at the bog, run out like a human scare-crow to find newly emerged vfts torn into pieces. I also grow cranberries but have had no problems with critters, or insects, eating them. By April I can safely take the netting off. Then my only problems are slugs and grasshoppers.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12