User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightbulb questions and 'experiment': wattage, spectrum, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb questions and 'experiment': wattage, spectrum, etc.

Hey kids. It's been a while.

Recently, i've been moving around the light fixtures and bought a GIGANTIC (emphasis on entire word) light fixture from a rather sketchy place nearby for cheap. I think it used to be a pot grow light. Anyways, the thing is really huge; it's a, and i extract from the bulb box the following info,: optiLUME 400 watt metal halide lamp with a concentrated blue-yellow spectrum designed for vegetative growth
    Lamp shape: ED37
    ANSI ballast: M59
    Watts: 400
    Temperature: 4,200 K
    Initial lumens: 39,000
    Life: 10,000 hours
    Burn Position: Universal

So, that's the box. No pics yet, but i was wondering if anyone else has done something quite like this. If there is any information on how good this is compared to, say, typical cool white fluorescent tube bulbs, lemme know. I've seen a guy growing plants using something that looked quite a lot like this in Switzerland, and i dare say his plants were mind boggling in beauty and epic splendor.

PS: I should probably tell you what i'm growing.
    i specialize in drosera. Intensely. I want them dripping in dew and crimson red. That's what i love to do. I need something with intense light to grow D. regia, madagascarensis, large red capensis, dichotoma, peltata, etc. If anyone has hunches about this light, or knows a thing or two, i'm listening.
    Last edited by turkeypig; 07-25-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    Forget about the mundane and meditate.

Grow list:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124211

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the brand, but metal halides are great when working with long distances from bulb to plant. Problem is they put out A LOT of heat and draw a considerable amount of energy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good news!
    I have the heat and the energy under control, using a computer fan to ventilate and keeping the room cool in general. As a matter of fact, i have the lights set up right now - just wondering if the plants will thrive long term.

Grow list:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell irrigation supplies and one of the things I can special order is indoor growing supplies (OF COURSE for growing tomatoes and such ). You will get MUCH more in the way of lumens to your CP's using HID than with flouro., including the T-5HO (tho with an 8 or 10 tube fixture you start to come close)! The one thing to be careful of is the heat (HID emits a LOT more heat than other lights) as 31drew31 said, but if you've got that covered, GREAT! As an fyi, the manufacturers usually recommend 80 cfm of air flow for 600w HID in air-cooled fixtures so I'd prolly recommend 50-60 cfm for a 400w.

As far as long term use, these lights still don't hold a candle to the sun, so you should be fine there. Also, the bulbs should be replaced every year or two as they start to drop off in light output, and new bulbs need a "burn-in" period of a week or two where they're pumping out WAY more lumens than spec and then they settle down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course! Growing tomatoes.
    That's really reassuring; i was a little worried that i'd invested in something that was not of a compatible design; i HAVE put my eggs in one basket.
    Posting a pic soon enough here...

Grow list:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distance from lights to plants is approx 16 inches or 40 cm.
    Opinions?
    BTW most plants have recently undergone transplant and have been pruned extensively (as i usually do). Species are D. capensis (all forms 'cept Bainskloof), spathulata, madagascarensis, filliformis "red", venusta, regia, dichotoma, binata, multifida, falconeri, dielsiana, nidiformis, and something weird that looks like affinis crossed with a broad capensis.

Grow list:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice set-up! Only thing I would say is make sure the fan on your fixture is "pulling" the air from the hood... oh wait, is there glass on your fixture (i.e. is it sealed?) or is it open?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's exporting air from the system, and yes, there is glass.
    It almost seems dangerous.

Grow list:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast