Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Robs Big Bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob what depth did you make your bog? Also what did you do for the water runoff? I have a cattle trough I am using now for a bog but am looking at making either an inground or raised bog with a large pond liner I been having. Im just concerned about the run off as well as having stagnant water remaining inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel- The depth of the bog is about 12 inches. To help with drainage, I put about 2-3 inches of sand on the bottom before putting in the pond liner. One side has a water reservoir that can be adjusted by moving the pond liner up or down. Water runs off on how you fold/crease it so it is adjustable. Also, before putting in the peat and sand mixture, I put 2-3 inches of gravel/rocks on the bottom so that the bog could drain easier. I am in the process of making it a circulating bog! I just need to find out what parts I need and the right pump for my bog. Definitely consider making an inground bog Joel! The plants definitely seem to love it considering there is more mass to it, and that I don't have to water it hardly at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob thanks for the info. Seems I got some planning to do. This is all alittle new to me as far as building a bog so hope you don't mind the questions. I understand what your saying about having a reservoir, which is a great idea, but do you run into problems when there is heavy rain filling up the reservoir? Also I plan on placing stones similar to what you did around it...how high above ground level did you bring the liner? Also how long did it take you to complete? Can you recommend when would be the best time for a project like this...meaning fall or early spring so as not to place the plants too much into shock. How many hours of direct sunlight does your bog get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia still lookin good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    love the bog the darlingtons look great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mickey!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is coming along very nice Rob. Love the Darliingtonia. The filiformis will take over the whole bog if you let the flowers go to seed, LOL. I finally started cutting the flower stalks off mine, as well as the Capes, becaue my bog was getting choked with them. I did not notice any Cape sundews in there, do you want some? They die back in winter, but come back in spring from the roots in a bog situation and I have a ton of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats actually a very good idea of putting cape sundews in there... I'll try that with some of the capes! Thanks for the idea! I actually wanna try putting some Regia in there but dunno if they'll survive next winter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123