Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Lighting for Plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marineland's double bright LED strips look like they'd work well. I saw them in person at the cichlid convention, they were really bright!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Do not purchase anything that is sold under the name of an "LED grow panel" or they sell you crap!
    I wasn't gonna respond, but I changed my mind... I have to disagree with this statement! It might be that way in Germany, but here in the U.S. the technology is being propelled by the medicinal cannabis community (and maybe just outright illegal growers too ) and it is quite advanced. I'm not saying it's cheap, but there are multi-thousand square foot setups in Oakland and San Francisco running primarily on LED lights because of the power savings and lack of heat generated... and some coolness factor is there too, no doubt!

Now I personally think in the next couple of years we'll see LED lights relagated to replacing our good ol fashioned Edison lamps and we'll see horticultural plasma lights taking over for HID's and flouros's and not be so d**ned expensive (current good plasma lights are in the $400-$800 range.)

Sorry on the mini-rant. Getting off soap box now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by btmurph View Post
    I wasn't gonna respond, but I changed my mind... I have to disagree with this statement! It might be that way in Germany, but here in the U.S. the technology is being propelled by the medicinal cannabis community (and maybe just outright illegal growers too ) and it is quite advanced.
    Osram, a German company, is one of the worlds leading opto semiconductor companies

It is possible to grow plants under LED, that's a fact, but it is also expensive as high power LEDs are still relatively expensive and you need a lot of them. For the horticultural industry, especially the medicinal and illegal, the investment is paid back by the profit from sales of the product, but this would not be the case for the hobby CP grower. So, I guess if you have the spare cash and you want to experiment with the technology then that is fine and if you select the right LEDs then you could have success, but for the moment fluorescents are the cheaper technology and neither are as good and cheap as sunlight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    but for the moment fluorescents are the cheaper technology and neither are as good and cheap as sunlight
    Right there with ya! I wasn't advocating (I'll do that for plasmas with my customers!), just saying that it's POSSIBLE to get good quality lights... but you're crazy to spend that kind of money!

My rule, until I can figure out some sort of greenhouse, is that it has to be able to survive on my patio... gotta love that giant bright glowy thingy in the sky!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grabbed 3 of this at Menards on clearance for $23 each. Pretty bright @ 6 watts. My plants have been under this light for the past week. Not sure if they like it, if not i can use it for reading bedside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...95486920514756

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that kind of money (ebay price) you could get a pretty decent T5HO fixture that is all but guaranteed to work.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use GU10 6W white LED lamps myself, they're around $15 on eBay. But, I use one lamp per plant, so not very economical for a large area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riceman View Post
    I grabbed 3 of this at Menards on clearance for $23 each. Pretty bright @ 6 watts. My plants have been under this light for the past week. Not sure if they like it, if not i can use it for reading bedside.
    The initial lumens is not the best, but this is not the biggest problem.
    The biggest problem with such lamps is, that the lifespan specification is not correct for the lamp, its only correct for the LEDs used to build the lamp under certain laboratory conditions.

In real life, such a lamp (built from a lot of densely packed low-power LEDs, one constant current driver in the lamp only) will have a big light loss after just a few thousand of operationg hours.

I cannot recommend any lamps built from low-power LEDs for plant lighting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12