Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circ bog revamped!!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The circulating bog in the conservatory of the Huntington Botanical Gardens in San Marino, CA circulates from one end to the other. It was designed by Jim Folsom who spent lots of time researching and studying bogs in the South East United States. Many of the Sarracenia in the bog were collected by him (under permit/permission).

Many Sphagnum bogs are essentially slow draining lakes with an inlet on one end and an outlet one the other.

In the new Sarracenia "ponds" at a certain nursery in Northern California the water circulates from on end to the other. They are simple 2 x 4 frames lined with a roofing material (flexible, tough, UV resistant). Some of the plants are in net/mesh pots. The ponds are replacing the older non-circulating swimming pool tubs. A wild guess from memory the ponds are about 3 feet x 15 feet

older tubs

What difference does the direction of the water flow make as long as fresh oxygen is supplied?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty, as long at the water flows. I want to use the mesh pots for the plants but didnt have the money to upgrade to them yet. This way the water in the tub is flowing and doesn't stagnante. Yeah it is not as great as if the pots were mesh or like my old system, but the old system the plants were all int he same medea and the plants over ran each other. There is still going to be some flow around the roots through the holes in the bottom.

I plan on adding a fish tank air pump to airate the water in the holding tank too. That was the main benefit sighted by Bugweed was the oxygenated water. Since this water doesn't flow exactly like my old system I think it would benefit with the air stone added. Then the oxygen flows by defusion to the unoxegenated water as it is pumped up.

I have to procure some more azzola and I will have the nitrogen needed in the water too.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12