I had to revamp my circulation bog. I wanted a way to be able to keep the plants separate and in their own pots so there wouldn't be plants running over each other as they grow. After looking at the pictures Chistof posted from the nursery he recently went to with SeedJar, I started thinking.
So I too myself with an idea down to Lowe's to see what I could come up with. I didn't take progress pics like I always plan to. I actually had the camera outside then realized oops the camera is dead. So i snapped some pics today and it honestly was not that hard to do and took me all of an hour to revamp. From scratch it would have taken a little longer due to the need to build the frame for the tubs.
This is the finished product.
I have to find pics of the old setup, but as some of you may recall I had 5 5 gallon buckets in tandem with a piece of gutter running under the 4 tubs and holes dripping into the gutter to rout it back to the 5 gallon buckets. This system is much neater and sleeker. I am very impressed.
As you can see it is just some pipe now and no gutter.
And the other side...
As you can see on the end of the pipe there is a 3/4 slip to female threaded fitting. Into the fitting goes a hose to pipe adapter found in the drip irrigation section. You can see the T fittings and the 90 on the end. All are slip fittings for 3/4 PVC. Do not use CPVC because it cannot take the sun.
Into the tubs you want to drill a 1' hole using a fan tip or other method, but that is the proper size for the threaded end of the 3/4" male fittings. You will see a piece of rubber under the 2" slip to 3/4" threaded adapter. That is a piece of cut to fit washer. I could not find a washer large enough to fit the 3/4" threads of the male PVC fitting. And you cannot screw the 3/4 inch threads far enough into the 2" slip to 3/4" fitting. It was used as a spacer and gasket to minimize leaking.
Into the 2" slip adapter you can add the drain cover. They only had 2 at my lowers so I will be getting more later. Here is what it looks like with the cover in place.
It keeps the big chunks from going down the drain and back into the reservoir.
Here is the rain barrel I used for the water holding tank.
Inside the holding tank there is a pump. The same pump I used on my old bog. Just remember you need to get some type of filter so it doesn't clock the small feed lines. U just used some fabric that was used to cover French drain lines. And the black tube is for drip irrigation and I just used the puncture method and placed the feed lines to fill the tubs. SO in the picture you see the black feed lines coming out of the tank. The bottom connection is the return line coming back from the bog.
I find that sarracenia like flowing water vs stagnant wanter any day. After repotting I lost a few plants to rot and couldn't figure out why. Well when I started paying a little more attention to the tubs I noticed they stunk from stagnation. This should fix that problem.
I don't remember the pump size, but it was purchased at Lowe's too. It was one of the medium sized pumps and it has an auto shutoff for low water levels. I had burned up 2 or 3 pumps previously due to them running dry. So I recommend getting one with the water level sensor.
I will be glad to answer any questions. Just FYI all my fittings were dry fit and not glued just so I can make adjustments later as I add more tubs. There is some slight leaking due to just being dry fit. Very minor and nothing stead. I wanted to make sure it would work first. So if you are wondering why you see no glue. That is why. Drain lines are not under pressure so I didn't think it was essential.