What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mato's Pic Thread.

• Thread starter mato
  • Start date
By the way, how is the N. spectabilis x hamata doing that I managed to ship with stupendously poor judgement?

Doing just fine. I think I lost the main vine, waited awhile for it to get settled in before I cut it, and it was just going downhill during that time... should've cut it the day I got it. The middle vine is wonderful and has produced about two pitchers so far. The smallest vine that had the tip broke and some of the leaves damaged is also coming back w a strong lateral shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of lighting are you using in that tent?
Do you use a humidifier still?

Nice plants and photography!

Mat, I don't suppose you have a female N. spectabilis in bloom anytime soon?

No, but I recently sent pollen from another plant to someone with a female N. spectabilis. I'll dig up his email address and send it to you, if you'd like.

Unlike its siblings, not "mini" or green. Never thought a maxima would turn into one of my favorite plants.

N. maxima

N. maxima

I need to document some of the various ant plants in my possession. Johnny's thread has inspired me..

Lecanopteris lomarioides and N. rajah

N. rajah

Possibly not pure

N. rajah

Recently, I had a discussion with a few members here about how this species seems to be relatively quick. They don't seem phased by seasonal temperature swings and grow regardless. This one was sown only two years ago, if not a bit more recently, and has almost hybrid vigor.

N. palawanensis

Unlike the attenboroughii, this species doesn't seem to have mature pitcher characteristics at a small size.

N. palawanensis

Although, given what it likes, attenboroughii is also relatively quick. This one was sown in 2012 and will need to be removed from the terrarium soon.

N. attenboroughii

Still just a seedling, but I received this at the beginning of 2012 as a little ball of vegetative tissue barely bigger than a fingernail. Today, that same plant would probably fall seamlessly into one of the current pitchers.

N. edwardsiana

And its brother from another mother

N. edwardsiana

Another very steady, easy grower. Lots of light really helps. I've probably been taking too many photographs of this plant, but among my collection, I think it's producing the most exciting subsequent pitchers since the light levels were intensified.

N. klossii

It's somewhat surprising how much lower the pitcher-to-leaf ratio is on this species as opposed to the closely related N. hamata. At least, that has been the case so far.

N. nigra

N. glabrata

The lone orchid bloom inside the tent, but one I haven't seen before.

Nepenthes and B. fascinator

Bulbophyllum fascinator

Last edited:
Those are mesmerizing. Kudos. The Bulbophyllum is amazing.

Wow, I can see why that N. maxima is one of your favorites! and here I was thinking N. maxima were always plain, vanilla Nepenthes...

Very nice update Mato, the N. attenbouroghii and N. palawanensis [not an accepted name, considered a synonym for N. attenbouroghii] are very impressive. Nothing wrong with loving N. maxima I saw a winged variety that was so cool but have no idea where to find one

spectacular as always sir, lookin forward to more in the future

Thanks, guys. Yeah, N. maxima is a very interesting species. Since the photographs of the plants on Doorman's Top surfaced in the last couple of years, it really has become one of the most interesting and diverse species. I'm not sure if all of these forms will remain classified as they are now, but it really brings an interesting twist to the allopatric evolution and general morphology we see within the genus. I think the forms from Sulawesi are also particular interesting, especially when comparing forms like the one in my photo to the much larger and more colorful "wavy" forms that grow throughout the island. In some ways, I hope Jebb and Cheek don't split them up too much, but you never know with those pencil pushing, herbarium junkies.

Great seeing your plants Mat. Your orchid is indeed very cool - it would be easy to go nuts with them. In looking it up in the Orchid encyclopedia, it appears they prefer to call it B. putidum (the putrid mastigion). Does it stink? It also seems to like it warm - no problem apparently growing it as a highlander? Any pics of the leaves/plant?

Last edited:
Interesting, Ron. I did a brief search and stumbled upon this thread, which seems to indicate towards the end that they are actually two similar, but different, species. https://www.orchidsforum.com/threads/bulbophyllum-fascinator-putidum-are-they-the-same.12827/

I haven't noticed any foul smell as of yet, but that could be due to the disgusting, semen-like odor of a male Nepenthes inflorescence (sorry if that was too much for some of you). At the same time, I didn't notice any rancid odor when my B. frostii [are you, perhaps, referring to Boletus frostii? Or some other unnamed genus? Perhaps the orchid genus, Bulbophyllum?] flowered (until I stuck my nose right up to it), and that was supposed to stink like rotting cheese. This species grows relatively slowly for me, but that may be due to the cooler conditions, even though my tent doesn't stay quite as cool as I'd like it to be. Like B. frostii, this one also has a mobile lip (I think this is what orchid growers call it) that seems to sway like a tongue when there's a slight breeze - a characteristic that really draws me in to the genus and reminds me quite a bit of carnivorous adaptations.

Regarding the previous comments about N. palwanensis vs N. attenboroughii, I stumbled across this post by Stewart McPherson that seemed relevant:

"...as you can see [N. palawanensis] is clearly very closely related to N. attenboroughii, but the upper pitchers are very rare and (according to Mark Rouse) a completely different shape. Maybe Mark might post some photos. Note, N. attenboroughii produces upper pitchers from a very early age and very few lower traps overall, N. palawanensis is the opposite."

[N. palawanensis, is not an accepted name, while N. attenboroughii is, and is also considered a synonym of N. palawanensis.]

Looks good as usual. Interesting to see the N. palawanensis [not an accepted name, it is considered a synonym, and the accepted name is N. attenboroughii] at this stage. Although said to be very similar to N. attenboroughii, not only does the pitchers appear different, but the leaves are clearly differently shaped as well.

Regards,

Christer

Just caught that on FB. What a cool community pot!

I don't know anything about the non-carnivorous companion plants. That thing is crazy looking!

Back