Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mass's "up the humidity" project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balancing humidity and temps is the toughest thing for me. Been in this hobby for 6 years now and still I experiment and try to tweak to find the right balance. I did keep my humidity 85% plus for a few months, and started getting rust in on/in my light fixtures and on the grow rack. Plus mold and mildew issues, despite running a large fan 24/7 and pulling in fresh outside air. Also in order to maintain that my humidifier literally wouldn't turn off at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SUCCESS!
    Woke up this morning to 90% humidity and the enclosed area was nothing but fog. Temps were a bit lower than I've been able to achieve prior, so that's a bonus.

Question: Who thinks it's best to fog only twice a day, and why? And who thinks it's best to fog 24/7, and why? ~ Kind of the same thing we've already been talking about. But hey.. this will keep the thread going and give us all something to talk about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand of ultrasonic mister do you use? Does it have a paper filter?

I bought a cheap humidifier a while back, but quit using it because it didn't do much for humidity and the paper filter needed replaced about every two weeks due to lime build up. We have very hard water here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's umm.. Walgreen's brand, literally. No paper filter. Been using this same one for almost 6 years now. And it still works great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to check out Walgreens then good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember though Mass is using RO water, so no mineral build up or very little.

Never had to use a humidifier so dont have any experience with them, but if I was doing it I would probably hook it up to a humidistat to ensure the humidity was always where I wanted it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travis,

Many growers use theirs for cooling as much as humidification.... in which case its on constantly and you dont really want fog. Fog indicates that the air has reached saturation, no more cooling can be achieved through evaporation.... so you are wasting energy trying. I adjust output and airflow to get good blending and maximize cooling. There is no apparent fog past 18" of the humidifier's output, and even at that point its hard to see.

I run mine constantly during they day, I have plants within 2 inches of 6 T5HO bulbs.

In many setups (especially those like mine), humidification is a secondary benefit of using an ultrasonic humidifier.

Always shades of gray mate.....

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me running a humidifier 24/7 with a humidistat ensures that the chamber stays as humid as I want day and night without going over. In my original setup back in 2001 or so I shut off at night and the lids on my hamata closed over night, and opened during the day with the humidity on so humidity all the time as well as airflow, to bring in cool air at night. I figured the cool wet winds don't stop in the wild after dark so why should it in my enclosure?

If I let the humidifier & intake fan run without any humidistat control eventually the plants are soaked by the fog and they stay wet, this is not a good situation as sooty black molds can develop on leaves and tight spots. With the air continually swirling and the fog stopping just as the correct humidity is achieved (with the fan still going to swirl the air) the plants never get a chance to have water actually sitting on the leaves unless I've soaked them with the sprayer.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast