Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass's "up the humidity" project

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mass's "up the humidity" project

So I've been doing some thinking after talking to the GrowLab kids. My plants have started growing so much better since I started growing them in water (raised humidity). Well, I'm still getting burnt LFS so I wanted to dampen the light a bit. Plus I wanted to adopt a better growing style. Something more like pygo's setup. No standing water, lot's of fog, high humidity. Just top notch growing.
    I know this probably will turn into trouble not too far down the road. Like using a steel frame to hold in high amounts of humidity. But I just wanted something better than a ziplock bag for my nicer neps.
    This is just a rough draft, threw it together in an hour or so. It's not completely sealed, that way the fog drifts out into the rest of the GH. I'm only going to fog up the area twice a day. Once in the morning and again at night. At least until I can get this idea under control. Haven't logged the new specs (temp & humidity), but I'm confident the plants will be a lot happier. Time will tell..

Thoughts, ideas, and concerns are MORE than welcome..

Was also able to move my cephs and tuberous dews up to the lights a bit. Hopefully they appreciate that..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just Fog It man!

I use an ultrasonic humidifier & fan for my HL stuff it works great. A lot of people don't wanna go to the "trouble" of filling a humidifier every day or two but it's not THAT much work.

I have the pair hooked up to the Zoomed Hygrotherm which runs the fan to cool the tank and the humidistat to set the humidity at 90%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude.. what do ya think this is? http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_7163.jpg Yup.. an ultrasonic fogging humidifier. I fill it twice a day, let it run as long as the lights are on, and am still only getting 70%. How big is your space?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Travis...you pretty much built the same thing I use for my neps....minus the fan.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the fan.. just haven't taken the time this evening to hang it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I've got the fan.. just haven't taken the time this evening to hang it.
    Oh...so you HAVE built pretty much what I've got...AWESOME!
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently you didn't understand that I was agreeing with your decision to set up the humidifier...

[QUOTE][I'm only going to fog up the area twice a day. Once in the morning and again at night./QUOTE]

Mine runs probably every 10-15 minutes sometimes more sometimes less, only fogging the space twice a day isn't gonna do anything more for you than misting them twice a day would. Get a humidistat and fan to circulate the fog evenly the humidifier will run a lot all day and night to keep the air 90%.

If you have a large space and the temps are not cool while the lights are on you don't get as high of humidity. I don't see any fog in your pics at all, my chamber fills with white fog as the humidifier is running. Also, you said it is not "sealed" that is another problem for maintaining a micro climate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Mine runs probably every 10-15 minutes sometimes more sometimes less, only fogging the space twice a day isn't gonna do anything more for you than misting them twice a day would. Get a humidistat and fan to circulate the fog evenly the humidifier will run a lot all day and night to keep the air 90%.

If you have a large space and the temps are not cool while the lights are on you don't get as high of humidity. I don't see any fog in your pics at all, my chamber fills with white fog as the humidifier is running. Also, you said it is not "sealed" that is another problem for maintaining a micro climate.
    I mostly agree with all of what was said here, but I would just run the humidifier all day, while the lights are on, along with a small fan for ventilation. You can adjust the fog output on the humidifier depending on what you are getting as far as average humidity. Have the fan turn of with the lights, but put the humidifier on it's own timer, and have it turn on 30 min before the lights come on, and turn off 30 min after they turn off. If you can get a timer that allows you to program multiple times for it to be on, then I would have the humidifier kick back on about halfway through the night, for another 10-15min. I do this with my terrarium, and so far all of my plants are doing great. I will be starting a new thread here in a minute, so I can cover what I have done with my setup, which has changed a bit...again

Doing it this way is cheaper than buying a humidistat, and if it isn't working the way you want it to, you can still add a humidistat if you decide you want to try it. I got my digital timer for like $10 at Walmart, I think the humidistat generally retails around $100.

Anyways, what you have done looks like a very fun and interesting project, and as usual your plants are looking gorgeous! Keep up the good work, and let us know how things turn out!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast