User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I Need to Invest in a Grow Rack...

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you show us a picture of the plants you are planning to put in the grow rack? I'm sure you will keep expanding, but knowing what you're dealing with will help us inform you about what direction to go. Personally, I've got my 48'' wire shelves full of plants, with a 4 bulb t5ho fixture above them, and I don't feel the need to enclose them at all. Mylar will help with reflection, but if you're just dealing with highland nepenthes or plants that don't need quite as much light, enclosing your rack with mylar will just require more maintenance than some of us are willing to invest our time in. Plus, there are less chances of mold and bacterial growth with an open rack. On the other hand, if you are one of those who feel high humidity is essential, than enclosing the rack is probably for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lowes 4' shelf is definitely the way to go if you ask me. Mine cost $78, but it's definitely worth it. You said your collection recently doubled in size... but I'm sure before long, it'll double in size again!! Plus, as someone else mentioned, having a 4' rack lets you buy 4' light fixtures, of which there is generally a greater variety with not much, if any, extra cost.

Have a look at my "grow rack re-pimping project" thread - it might be helpful. I recently re-configured my rack yet again to make use of all the shelves. I'll post pics this weekend.

The way I have it set up right now, I've got two 2' tall shelves for Neps, a shorter 1' tall shelf for dews & pings, and another 1' tall shelf for germinating seeds and growing sphagnum--or trying to grow it, at least. I'm not using the second Nep shelf, but I'm sure before long I'll have to expand out to that shelf... at which point I can just buy a few more light fixtures and mount them to the shelves.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what my wife bought for me:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is nice a tidy little setup Jim. I could see one of those in my upstairs bedroom real soon Thanks for sharing!

Previously known as: NY Plant Nerd

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could double the wattage output, though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always loved how clean that rack looks, Jim. What sort of bulbs does it run?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always plan on having more room than you need. I recently just about doubled my nepenthes collection in one trade recently. I need more room for sarrs now andneed to expand the bog. Also my GH needs to be expanded. Always go bigger if you can manage. And the 4 foot selves are what I would do when I setup my workshop and can also do a grow rack plus the GH.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after lots of searching and planning, I have decided on the following and want some final input. So with the limited space in my apartment, and my resolution to not purchase more plants than the rack can handle until after I finish college this year, and the fact that my current finances are a little strict, here's what I'm planning:
    I'm going to purchase an indoor greenhouse/growrack from Lowe's for $40. It is much like the one in my original post. I am going to install my current light fixture, as well as an additional one (perhaps 4 ft instead of 2ft). All my plants should fit on just 2 shelves, so I still have a little room to expand. I plan to line at least the 2 side walls, and possibly the back wall with mylar.
    The few problems I need to address:
    It's already been mentioned this can build up heat on the inside. I know leaving the front open should solve this, but what about just one fan drawing air in near the bottom and one pumping air out near this top, could this be enough?
    Also, I currently don't have a humidifier, would a large tray of water on the bottom rack help with humidity?
    Feel free to point out anything I missed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast