User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I Need to Invest in a Grow Rack...

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I Need to Invest in a Grow Rack...

So my collection has essentially tripled in size over the past few weeks and I'm running out of window space for my neps...I need a grow rack.The local lowes still has a few indoor greenhouses similar to this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor...6628923&sr=8-2
    They are $40 at Lowes and I will ask about getting their display model for cheaper.
    It would be inside, and I'd try to put just a 2 bulb 2' fluorescent light fixture above at least 3 of the shelves.
    Thoughts?
    Can I do something similar for cheaper? Easier? I've never had a grow rack before, so and advice is new to me really!
    Thanks for the help,
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would argue that wire shelving is just as good if not better....surround with styrofoam lined up with mylar. instant win---look at Jeremiah's heliamphora set-up to get the gist....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely wouldn't mind setting something like that up, it seems like I should be able to fund a metal rack cheaper than the $40 he listed. I mean, the grow rack is practically the same thing but with plastic covering for $40, then I'd just have to replace it with foam board....thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the space for it, I would highly recommend going for 4ft shelving. You will save a ton of money on lights and bulbs. $50 shelving will get you more space for your buck, too.

I wouldn't recommend using those indoor greenhouses unless you leave the front completely open. Even then, the trapped heat will bake any highland species and the stagnation will promote rot.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the feed back!
    After looking at Jeremiahs setup and with Phys' recommendations I was thinking about this:
    4 foot shelving, in front of a window (which direction would be best?!).
    On the very top, in open air, I'd have the easiest neps (miranda, ventrata, etc).
    the two side walls and back would have styrofoam and mylar surfacing. I would mount a light fixture to the top shelf and probably the shelf 2 below it.
    I'd connect a fan (or 2) to blow through a hole in a side. I'd seal the bottom and front with plastic, and probably try to use velcro to open the front plastic kinda like a fridge door.
    I think I could do this all cheaply enough.
    One thing, I don't have a humidifier, maybe my parents have an old one, idk. Would a sterilite container of water in the bottom be good enough to keep humidity up? I'd be growing a number of mirabilis hybrids, some pure mirabilis, and just easy neps in general in this.
    Also, will 2 light units in it be good enough? I'd use just 2ft 2 bulb fluorescent fixtures with some 5000k bulbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may find some of the tweaks I've made to my own setup helpful. http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128080

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So been thinking a lot about this. If I did get the grow rack from Lowe's, would it be possible to just line the inside of that with mylar and connect a fan near the bottom? What would be the pros and cons of this maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first grow rack I spent a whole 20-25 bucks on (minus lighting). It was ghetto, but it worked. I even duplicated it when I needed more space.

I bought one of those solid white plastic things you put together. I then had a 6 foot section of 1" x 2 " board laying around and cut it in sections to match the length of the shelving with just a little overhang.

I took a steak knife (because my tools have been pillaged by my 14 year old), and cut out a section in the shelves to place the 1" x 2" board in and screwed it into the underneath of the shelves securely. I then took a set of hook screws and screwed them into the end of the boards so I could hang my lights with the small section of chain they came with.

That was about it...

Here was the finished product...

Another nice thing I liked about these cheap racks is they had a small lip so if you overwatered, it was unlikely it would get on the floor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast