User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who uses those ultrasonic pond fogger thingies?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh OK Thanks. It looked like it was flush and fit perfectly. I am going to do this and pipe cold air from under my house into a misted bucked then into a terrarium in the GH. Hopefully it will keep a Cool misted sub chamber for Helli's in my GH. Then I can get s few more and not worry about lack of light!! Woot Woot!

I found cheap single disc foggers I wonder if I wired three together if there would be enough fog to mist a 55 gallon terrarium. I don't think I want to spend 300 for a 12 disc in one fogger. I would like to find a cheap one with a buoy already instead of making one.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a pic of the fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - I'm scratching my head way harder than I should debating which of these fogger things to buy. The three-disc units are about as expensive as one or two of the five-disc units out there (like the one I linked previously)... and they're also about the same price as three of the one-disc units purchased separately. Five may be overkill... three would be a waste of money considering the cost of the five-disc unit... one disc probably won't produce nearly enough fog... and if I got two single-disc units (with accompanying buoys) I might not have enough room left in my bucket to stuff a bunch of frozen water bottles during summer months to keep temps down. Ughghghg.

On another note - Paul - how many CFM does that fan push? Do you find it has trouble at all forcing air from a 3-4" opening down to a 1" hose? Is there any blowback on the intake?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude.. seriously, those discs SUCK! They don't work in deep water, so either you need floaters for each one, or you've gotta refill the 2" of water every 5 minutes. Plus they run hot HoT HOT!
    Just spend the $25-$30 and get a nice ultra-sonic fogging humidifier from Walgreens or Walmart. It can fog up an entire room with ease..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey now... that's a lotta' fog. What sort of RH are you starting from when your humidifier comes on? (obviously if you're starting with higher RH your humidifier will have less of a tough time maintaining that nice thick fog you've got going there)

Also, for a sense of scale, what are the dimensions of that space?

EDIT: the thing that keeps me hesitating about a humidifier vs. this fogger bucket setup is that there's no way to chill the water before it gets fogged... and a bucket of ice water with a fogger in it seems like the best, most cost-effective stop gap measure to keep my temperatures below 100 degrees during the July / August heat waves here in NYC to keep my intermediate and/or hardy HL hybrid Neps from croaking on me.
    Last edited by TheFury; 10-02-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the beauty of a COOL mist humidifier.. it runs cold. If you want it colder, just use chilled water.

No idea what my RH is. I use RO water, so I imagine it's pretty low.

Oh, and my GH is a 6W x 7H x 8L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't consider the disc humidifiers trash at all. They work like a charm for me...this is totally an example of application in context. I'm working in a small confined space and my disc foggers can drop the temps from 90F to 65F within a duration of an hour via evaporated cooling. Also, many of my plants, heliamphora and south american sundews would do poorly in highly saturated environments when water condenses on the leaves (i.e. Excessive mist)

I would argue temp control comes as the foremost priority for using the foggers. Humidity comes as a beneficial byproduct as the temp cools down.

Kind regards, Jon
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this online and thought it would be pretty useful for a smaller terrarium, you can put icewater in the container thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

this is my 100th post!