User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Who uses those ultrasonic pond fogger thingies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this several months back http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sun...927797-product. At that time i had a $10 off coupon with free shipping. Have been very happy with it. It has a programmable hygrostat. With 70% RH set. I fill it every alternate days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey gill_za, I use a Sunbeam ultrasonic humidifier in my 6.5' x 6.5' grow tent and it works wonderfully. On the lowest setting with all the lights on humidity stays around 70%, when the lights go off and it keeps running and humidity increases to 90%+. I refill every night, but would probably last 30-36 hours before it ran dry, and if it does run dry it shuts off automatically.

This is the one I use, the nice thing is, if your using it with a humidistat it doesn't need to be turned back on like the programable humidifiers. 1.5 gallon tank capacity, no filters.

http://www.sunbeam.com/ca/productdet...=1894&pid=6394

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question...
    (I would PM you on it, but I do think it a good thing for others to consider/understand also.)
    based on my own humid experience,

Where will all the excess humidity go?

Especially if using a fogger/ultrasonic humidifier...

I only ask, as depending on your set-up, a high humidity can either be kept in,
    or vented into the room. While I have found that some plants need the extra humidity,
    (or especially the cooling effects of "evaporative-cooling", for things like Heli's & such)
    but some plants can do with a lot less humidity otherwise.

In the winter I have found it adds a nice level of humidity to the house,
    but when I close my room off or in the summer, it feels like a jungle in the room.
    Hot & Humid!
    I actually like it, but it probably isn't the best things for the house itself.
    (One reason I am reworking my old shelving set-up as it got to be an issue with the way I had it.)

Well, just some things to consider...

I just want to keep you thinking! You are putting in a great effort,
    and I want to be sure you get the most out of it!
    (Currently I am reworking the rework I already did! It didn't pass my testing & I don't like the results yet,
    so about a weeks worth of work is now being redone... again!)
    Oh well, it is thru adversity that we get to learn the most!
    Good Luck!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make a good point in that it isn't good for the house. I'm no contractor, but if I'm not mistaken, high humidity can do quite some damage to drywall pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, though, TheFury (gill_za, too, I think) has an enclosed rack, which keeps it mostly contained. And that's definitely the way to go. If not a rack, something else (like an indoor greenhouse to take it to the extremes) to keep the humidity contained, otherwise you're risking a lot in terms of humidity damage to the house.

EDIT: But I just LOVE walking into the plant room at night and it's 50 degrees and 99% humidity... it feels so... fresh. I dunno, lol. Like it feels after a bad thunderstorm.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ultimate goal is to mostly isolate the shelf from the room because unfortunately my apartment experiences serious fluctuations in humidity and in temperature. So I hope to smooth it out by creating close to isolated environment on each shelf in the long run. The shelves right now are so densely packed with plants and trays that I hope that the excess humidity will condense in the trays and/or gets absorbed into the soil (I'm planning on using DI water for Ultrasonic Humidifier).

In addition I'm planning on running the humidifier on the timer to save on water/electricity and not to overwhelm the plants. I realize that if I pump the air into the setup, whether I want it or not it will need to escape somewhere and will probably carry some moisture with it on the way out. Timer should also solve the excess humidity problem I hope.

Why did I even bother with humidifier? With enclosure my pings and utrics were drying out so quickly I could not keep up with watering. Without additional humidity the air is too dry. And even with evaporative humidifier that pumps air onto each shelf the humidity drops to 35 - 40% once the lights are on.. And the temperature rises to 80F with low 70s in the room (I dread summer...) Without the enclosure my apartment looks like I have a miniature lighthouse beacon in the room.

I realize that after all my experimentation and tweaking there might be a moment when I realize that all that effort was in vain (as for example I realized that reflective wrap sold in Lowes would be easier to setup than those foam panels) and its better to have a fan on very low blowing fresh air in. We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    I have a question...
    Last edited by gill_za; 11-18-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my rack is really only partially enclosed. It has a shower curtain clipped to the outside but the top and bottom are open. It definitely gets very humid in my room. I have my hygrotherm set to 75% RH and on a hot day you can definitely feel the moisture in the air just standing in the room. It's a good point - I might have to start worrying about damaging my apartment. Hrmmmrmrmmrmrmmm...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a followup to my previous question about ultrasonic humidifier:

Here is why it's so weak:

The fan is puny.... (ghost kitty)

The exhaust is obstructed:

I have started modifying the unit. Cut out an extra intake hole. Took out the puny fan and will instead force the air through with outside PC fan (just need to figure out the best way to wire it, don't want to use an extra adapter to power it. Also I've expanded the exhaust holes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice humidifier-hacking!!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast