User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who uses those ultrasonic pond fogger thingies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who uses those ultrasonic pond fogger thingies?

So I'm looking at upgrading my humidifier. Right now I have one of those portable ones that you stick a water bottle on top of. It's alright but it's annoying refilling it so often and I'm also expanding out onto a second shelf in my grow rack and I don't think this little thing has the oomph to cover two shelves.

I'm checking these things out. I'm thinking of putting one into a 5 gallon bucket, mounting a fan to the bucket, and having it push the mist out of a tube or hose feeding my grow rack.

Question is: who here uses a contraption like this as opposed to a regular Walgreens (or similar) ultrasonic humidifier? I'd like to know whether you think the single-disc model will pump out enough fog for my needs or if I should spring for a 3-disc model?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those look like the type of things my buddy and I used to decorate his house for halloween. If it's what I think it is, there's no way that 1 would produce what you want. I'm also using one of the portable waterbottle humidifiers, and it produces way more fog than those. I may be wrong about the product, but I don't think so.
    Indeed. Most indeededly. Phillip J. Frye

My growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one disk effectively cools my tank down to 65F (weather has been 90F as of late) during the day for my 20 gallon tank. shouldnt be a problem for you...that being said, if you're gonna place it in a five gallon bucket, you might need a buoy to keep the mister at the appropriate level so it functions properly.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my first one today. Doesn't work in water over 2" deep.. doesn't fog up a 55gal. worth a crap. Haven't checked temp changes. But the splashing water from the fogger does more than the fog it produces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used those ultrasonic misters for a while in a 55 gal tank. Had between 3-4 of them on a timer. Gave up due to: poor build quality (replacing too often), needing to keep the water level w/in a pretty tight tolerance in order to produce decent mist, and they splash a good deal of water around which had to be managed. I ended up sending them down to Joe (seedjar), maybe he's had better luck.

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one single disc fogger in my orchid rack.
    It keeps the humidity around 91% when running. I have it on a timer as well, every two hours for 15 min run time. The rack is a standard 32" x 24" x 60".
    The splash was an issue, so I covered the unit with a plastic bowl upside down over it, suspended on wooden skewer legs, set in a plastic tote (about 8 gallons of capacity) on the floor of the rack. I only need to fill the tote once or twice a week at most.
    It works fine for my application, but it would not keep up in a larger enclosure. IMO
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks folks! I had exhausted the 'forum search' tool and at the end of it, I thought I had a pretty good understanding that these pond foggers were the bees knees! Interesting change in perspective.

Yeah, if I got one/three of these things I would definitely buy the accompanying buoy. That way I could put 3-4 gallons of water in the bucket at a time and the fogger would always stay at the right depth. But for $85 for a 3-disc unit, plus the cost of the buoy, a five gallon bucket, and a little fan, we're talking $110-$120 for a humidifier that may or may not accomplish about as much as a $50 CVS-brand humidifier.

Riddle me this: the standard drug store humidifiers that many people have here... if I ran the output of one of those through a T-junction and fed half of the fog to one shelf and half to the other by injecting it into the air intake on each shelf, would the stream be too wimpy to keep Neps (and maybe a Heli or two eventually) happy? I'll preface that by saying that in the winter, humidity can drop down to the low 30%'s with my fans running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbradt View Post
    Those look like the type of things my buddy and I used to decorate his house for halloween. If it's what I think it is, there's no way that 1 would produce what you want. I'm also using one of the portable waterbottle humidifiers, and it produces way more fog than those. I may be wrong about the product, but I don't think so.
    No that's totally different
    Smoke machines superheat a dilute chemical and spray it out a nozzle
    It's not safe to touch for something like a foot, then it cools down

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast