Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: new heli chamber

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I didn't know they made those either...I need some more reflecting material since switching to a grow rack from tanks. Do they made them in smaller sizes and/or are they easy to cut to fit smaller dimensions? I see you did some cutting to get the fans in at least.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Butch
    long time no see or hear , your new set up looks very nice , shame you can not get that extra light to the lower tray , I dont seem to have permission to post any pic's here ?? was going to show you the heli tank before I decommission it now winter is over , they did well and the seedling did grow well , but the green house still is out preforming the tank by a long way , once again can not post any pic's ?/
    any how when I can will show you the difference
    J

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked out home depot yesterday, found those panels. They were 15$/panel of 3/4" thickness and one side only is covered with mylar. Its around 3' x 8'. Ended up coming home empty handed as my Honda Civic coupe cannot carry that + I didn't want to cut it up right there without planning.

But nice to see you can get some light in the bottom shelf B....put those 2' fixtures to use for now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jpappy.... easy to cut, basically styrofoam with a thin mylar layer... cant get much easier unless it was hot butter

Snapper.... Oye mate, your pics have to be hosted off site... something like photobucket
    good to see ya too!

Varun, 15 CDN isnt bad mate.... especially for 3/4", very good price.... seems like I gave more then that... but dont remember, Ive had mine a long time.

T8's will be up tomorrow on the lower shelf and probably another group abover the T5 section.... just have to see

But i may retire the 6 bulb fixture for a bit and see how they do... i would give up a little color to have a nice clean self watering design. At least for a little while....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I checked out home depot yesterday, found those panels. They were 15$/panel of 3/4" thickness and one side only is covered with mylar. Its around 3' x 8'. Ended up coming home empty handed as my Honda Civic coupe cannot carry that + I didn't want to cut it up right there without planning.

But nice to see you can get some light in the bottom shelf B....put those 2' fixtures to use for now.
    HA I ended up doing the same thing. In both my local Lowes and HD the thinnest 4x8 were 12 bucks. I jotted the design on my N900 but ended up leaving in order to double check the measurements. And i also cant fit the sheet into my civic coupe heheh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking to get some of my first Heli's soon and am trying to figure out my settup. This is an inspiration I have the exact same shelving unit with just one empty shelf at the bottom that I am thinking of using as a highland plant shelf by closing it off, much as you have done, and getting some refrigeration in there (by breaking down a mini refrigerator? has anyone done that succesfully?). I'm excited !
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

The automatic watering system works better than hoped.... only one moving part too, gotta love basic physics :-)

This was really the main goal in moving to the new rack, well that and Jeremiah's made my ghetto system look so dang bad LOLOL Dang you ;-)

Ill give the 4 bulb a chance and see how she does.... if I lose too much color Ill redo and just build the dang rack with treated lumber

Found some 4 bulb T8's at Lowe's so Ill use those for the low canopy plants... (young helis)

But no more watering (practically) woohoo.... and its a flood and drain system, so still get good gas exchange in the root zone. I'll make a detailed DIY post about it later... super simple design.

Rich, if you are in a low humidity enviroment, consider evaporational cooling ;-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well getting closer.... baby steps though, ugh

some of my self watering system details:

Top line is feed (and "power-off" drain) line from pump, bottom is main drain back to reservoir. Notice both lines bend over to bottom of container (This is critical).
    Holes in bin are drilled slightly smaller then the tubing to self seal against them.

The top is fed using a small fountain pump controlled via timer... the pump is located in a main reservoir that is setting under the plant rack's lower shelf. The volume of water in the reservoir exceeds that required to make the system operate. The level also is less than it would take to overflow the system in case of something unforseen happening.

As the pump runs, water level in the bin increases and soon reaches the height of the main drain line where it enters the bin. At this point, a siphon forms in the drain line and draining begins.

It is important that the main drain flows faster then the feed line fills (smaller pump size is better for this reason). I have a common aquarium flow control just in case I needed to fine tune this balance, but it was not needed.

After a period of time, all the water is drained....and the hose size is small enough that the suction is maintained even as the pots slowly drip their residual water.
    A larger hose size would not work as well in this application, it would "break" suction too early.

If the timer or power shuts off at a point where the water level has not yet created the siphon, the water pump's feed line then starts back flowing, forming its own siphon.

System operates normally.... cycle is completed, plants watered and drained as normal, system ready for next watering cycle.
    System operates but timer stops mid cycle or unexpected power failure.... water drained via feed line, system ready for next watering cycle.

Timer is set for an hour and half.... plenty of time for at least one complete cycle.

Works better then hoped, notice the water level is empty.... the system accomplished this on its own, its been doing the watering/draining for a couple days now

Since the pots partially flood then drain, fresh air is pushed in behind the exiting water... providing good gas exchange in the root zone.

An elegantly simple and effective system if i do say so, I'm very pleased with it's performance!

Ohh and the tubs in front will be gone soon...
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 10-06-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast