Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: new heli chamber

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quickie video of the drain line scavaging the bottom of the bin. The pump is also powered off and if you watch carefully you can see it's also scavaging any remaining water.

gotta love physics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the self watering system. I'm going to have to try to set up something similar...
    Indeed. Most indeededly. Phillip J. Frye

My growlist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butch,
    Just a thought.... perhaps down the line, remember to occasionally keep a watch for algae or some other "mystery meat" that decides to plug up some of the smaller tubing.
    I seem to often eventually have some crud plugging up the works, especially on small tubing, drain holes or drip holes. (My system has been going thru ongoing changes as these things show their ugly faces & I have to continually modify my designs to overcome them!) I am not good at keeping things clean however, & don't have the time to do regular upkeep like I know I ought. So for me I know it is usually my own fault. But indeed, I usually will see the crud accumulating, but for some reason... ignore it! Then later, when it plugs things up, I get all surprised & upset as if I didn't know it was coming! Duh! (Actually the real issue is that I am always doing too many things at one time!) But then that's what made me automate things back in the first place.

On my current auto' set-ups, I have to occasionally wipe, clean or otherwise clear out plugged holes in my rain/mist/watering systems. Most of the time it is from the growth of algae which over time, works its way into the strangest places. I do however, use larger tubing as a result, and now only have had issues with the ports in the "rain tubes" plugging a bit here and there, as the algae over grows the holes (which are the only real small holes in the system) as the months pass.

As far as your thoughts on accumulation of substances (tricho/fert's/etc.) , I have had decent luck simply running clean water thru the system during one of my "fills", which has kept problems to a minimum so far. About once every year or year & a half, I open things up & do a sort of minimal cleaning, and so far so good.
    I also use Tricho regularly, as well as some hydroponic fertilizers of my choosing. The sphagnum actually lets me know when I have overdone something, or let things get out of wack! (It is the proverbial 'canary in my mine' so to speak!)

Again, good luck with things.
    You have certainly motivated me that it is times to get my shelves up to date, as my other set-ups currently are. It has been my "problem child" for long enough!

By the way, your video looked funky until I realized I was seeing it sideways.
    Hey friend... are you just trying to mess with my head!?

Take care!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butch you have me drooling!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

yes....Wise words of wisdom my old friend

I learned early on that even having my ultrasonic humidifier in the grow area (exposed to the lighting) was bad mojo.

I figured a good cleaning would be in order a couple times a year,... and the aquarium tubing is cheap enough to just replace out when it gets a little on the funky side

Josh, thanks

couple more pics that I had posted in a heli thread

Thanks for looking,
    Butch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So fresh and clean! Great pics of the new setup. Awesome to see the evaporative cooling in action

Previously known as: NY Plant Nerd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!!! ...as usual with you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks amazing, as I'm sure we've all come to expect from you Do you keep the front of the rack open?
    Grow to learn, learn to grow.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast