Likes Likes:  2
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: new heli chamber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    Can't wait till you show us the self watering system!
    Ah yes, 'tis the part I was awaiting also.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    Again, thumbs up Butch! As you tried to tell Uphwiz (Jimmy), automating watering of your plants is the biggest time saver you can imagine. It doesn't cost much to do & the rewards are great!
    Agree. Really like the elegance of the simplistic, very-functional design (although with Butch's penchant for redundancy, having only one pump could be an issue). Now, I need to evaluate what it would take to create enclosures that would support this (as he shudders & runs off to do something more pleasant - like scrub the toilets ... ).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

I have an identical bin under the bottom shelf of the plant rack. To find the ideal water level I pinched off the main drain and started adding to the reservoir. I stopped adding once the system filled the plant's bin to about a half inch above the pump feed line level.

I will get the info off the pump for you this evening. It was one that actually came in a kid's hydraulics science set that i use to have set up during open house at school. While its very small in size and flow rate, the few foot of static head doesnt seem a major issue.

Since the small fountain pumps are a radial flow dynamic design, their current draw decreases with any decrease in flow rate. I know it seems counterintuitive but HP=GPMxPSIx0.000583, so any reduction in GPM reduces current and load on the powersupply. (I demonstrate this to my students using larger industrial pumps with strobe tachometers and inductive ammeters)

If it was a fixed volume, positive displacement pump this wouldnt be true of course.... but being centrifugal we can get away with it and use it to our advantage in this application. Of course long term, we may suffer some errosion of the impeller due to cavitiation resulting from the reduced output (increased relatative velocity of impeller to liquid), but omg not anytime in the next few years :P

Ron,

I will have a redundant pump before too long.... but Im still pondering on that at the moment :P
    You know me too well old friend LOL, you both do....
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 10-10-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

System is working awesome, I am very pleased!

OMG the maintenance level has dropped to practically zero, plant growth has surged and enjoyment level is through the roof... woot woot!

I think I will add a layer of gravel to the bottom of the plant bin. Something like pea gravel I think, inert and not too small nor too large.

The small hose has stopped up a couple times due to bits of sphagnum that found their way to the hose. Good news is system still performed as expected. The pump feed became the drain and emptied the bin when timer cycled off.

Pea gravel should provide good protection against this. I am thinking just a modest layer... 1" maybe.
    It will simply act as a mechanical filter.

I have also added an air stone to the reservoir, this should provide benefits on several levels IMHO.

One other operational observation, sometimes the priming starts a little earlier then expected.

As the drain sucks out the last bits of water some water bubbles are left in the hose. Then when the cycle restarts and the water level starts increasing in the bin the air pressure in the hose builds slightly between bin and the water bubble. At some point this increase in static pressure over comes the inertia of the water bubbles and they begin to flow, restarting the prime. This only occurs occasionally and doesnt seem to be an issue.

Not a concern nor a problem, just an interesting unexpected observation... It could be prevented by increasing drain hose size but dont see the need at this point. The benefits of the small hose size outweigh any small variance in bin water level.

Last edited by Av8tor1; 10-16-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much Butch! Were are having as much fun watching your heli chambor grow as you are!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankd Rob,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butch,
    Thanks for the updates on what's happening too.
    It is VERY helpful!
    I still haven't started mine, & every observation helps!

Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, here are the pump specs for ya

Mfg. Jebao
    Model: PP-388LV

DIMENSIONS :
    ADAPTERS (2) 1\2" AND 1\4"-5\16" HOSE
    PUMP HxWxL 2-3\8" X 2" X 2-5\8"
    ELECTRICAL : CORD 6 FT
    PUMP WATTS 12W
    Volts 12 Volt AC
    Volts 12 Volt AC
    PERFORMANCE
    A) 198 GPH @ 0 FT
    B) 185 GPH @ 6"
    C) 170 GPH @ 1 FT
    D) 132 GPH @ 2 FT
    E) 75 GPH @ 3 FT
    F) 50 GPH @ 4 FT
    SHUTOFF 59"

(I think their flow specs are a little ummm generous LOL, or maybe they rated it with 1/2" discharge)

Caveat emptor, has that mainland Chinese vendor feel to it but fwiw: http://www.ecrater.com/p/7966590/pp-...sible-fountain

Mfg. Website (probably a safer option for not much more coin) http://www.jebaopumps.com/products.p...-%28185gph%29-
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 10-18-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaiee... carumba!
    Thanks Butch!
    Info like that is handy actually, as I often get some reference material & method info from the local hydroponics store, catalog & folks. Many a pump (in this case) can do some really nice "water-works", & how I first got on to thinking up an auto-rain watering design. (I do love that Hydroponics store with all its expensive goodies & cool stuff for growers of all kinds!)

Just a heads up, the local hardware outlets are sometimes having their fall liquidation sales without too much hoop-la. But with regular checking, I was able to get some 50-80 gph (2.5'-0gal head) for about $3 & a couple 560gph (14.3'-0gal head) for little over $11. (Likely enough to power-wash the plants actually!) It came to about 80-85% off original prices!
    (The only way I can afford stuff actually! And my favorite season for buying supplies! The discount season!)

So my advice is to be patient & keep a sharp eye, as it IS affordable for nearly everyone.

Again, my thanks for your help & info...
    & perhaps I will post some pics at some point when I am done. Likely won't be as simple or nice, but so long as it works & gets done in time before the winter season, I will be satisfied.

By the way, let me know what you think of what I put in your SAPE!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast