Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a Deal on a Humidifier!

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a Deal on a Humidifier!

So on the advice of a wonderful forum member, I check out the local salvation army today. I walked out with an extension cord, an old coffee maker to cannibalize a cord ffor my new light fixture, and a NEW ReliOn ultrasonic humidifier. Grand total? $2.75

Now the real questions:
    Can I just use tap water in the humidifier?
    When/how long should I run it in my indoor greenhouse?

Thanks,
    Kyle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tap water will shorten the life of the humidifier, If the greenhouse is very large you should probably keep it on for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tap water is also likely to cause hard water deposits all over the place, including plants.

Getting a digital timer is often useful, you can set it to run multiple times a day. I use to do like 15 minutes, 20 times a day or something... Probably overkill, but it gets my point across. As far as how long you'll need to run it for, well... that's largely up for experimentation. Find out what kind of schedule holds your humidity where you want it. Trial and error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont see how tap is an issue... I use it and since its just vapor, nothing from the water gets on the plants, it just makes my growing area humid. I may be different because I have a ReliOn warm mist humidifier but it seems like the upkeep would be the same. Just clean it once a week and you wont have to worry about build up from anything in your tap.
    Doubt this helped but there you go lol
    Also, I run mine over night with a fan on to circulate it and then I turn it off when I wake up. Exact time is from 10PM-6AM. May seem bad but my plants love it
    I was here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once a week cleaning on a humidifier? No thanks, lol. I've had the same humidifier running for about a year without any cleaning. RO water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of that depends on your local water system. Some folks have very hard tap water... total dissolved solids (TDS) of 300+ ppm... and kicking that much dissolved mineral content into the air by atomizing the water will leave a residue on your plants over time as it condenses. Here in NYC it's closer to 25-30 ppm, which is pretty clean. I use that water for my Neps regularly. But for other plants, and to run through my humidifier, I run it through a cheap RO unit that gets it down to 10-15 ppm.

But anyway, sweet deal on that humidifier, no matter what kinda water you put in it! I just dropped $45+shipping on a humidifier so I'm mighty jealous of your steal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously if you use RO then you dont really need to lol. I would rather use RO for my plants since my humidifier goes through 2 gallons+ a day and tap is cheaper. I suppose you can go to once a month or more if your tap isnt to bad...
    I was here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I guess it's probably different for those of us that own an RO unit. Don't have to go to the store all the time just to refill a humidifier. Between my humidifiers and plants, I use a ton of water. Depending on the weather, usually about 10 gallons every two or three days. The RO unit makes life a lot easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast