Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ULTRA GHETTO highland chamber idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the cooling system you mentioned ever a success? I did something VERY similar here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plastic containers are easy to cut with a rotary tool. You just don't want to get your fingers near one while working. Harbor Freight has some pretty cheap ones.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't a mini swamp cooler a humidifier? It blows air through damp material and comes out cooler and humid.
    Last edited by Jcal; 08-25-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do keep plenty of moisture in the air. My homemade one keeps my tank at about 60-65% RH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to your local grocery store and have a talk with the produce clerk, they will have some waxed cardboard boxes that are reasonably water-resistant and should last long enough for your experiment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've since abandoned this idea. My Heli. minor is growing fine simply in a partially enclosed clear bin in my growing shelf for higher humidity, and opening the windows at night to get the temps into the mid to lower sixties. A couple weeks of lows only to about 70 have seemed to do no harm to the plant (though, I also spray my highlanders at night before I go to bed to help cool them down more via evaporative cooling durring these warmer weeks). The majority of the year night temps get much colder (I'll let it get into the mid to lower 50's). As it seems to be able to tollerate a few warmer weeks in the summer given colder temps the rest of the year, I'm not in any rush to make an elaborate setup. Yet, who knows what the future will hold, especially if I get more difficult species... Thanks for your ideas and input everyone
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    Was the cooling system you mentioned ever a success? I did something VERY similar here.
    Great minds think alike :P He he... Definately gives me a few ideas. I may just give it a second go one of these times. No immediate plans though.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    In my initial test (now several months ago) it did work in increasing humidity and lowering the temp, but not quite to the level that I had hoped. For any similar future project I am now considering using actual refrigeration or ac of some sort, as many others have done, though I'm not completely discounting evaporative cooling. I'll update when I pursue this further (and I'm sure I will )
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast