Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Exo-Terra Nano Tall Setups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliLover View Post
    Dare I say it but you could possibly grow a heliamphora with your frogs... The temps and humidity are ok and the frogs wont be eaten. Heliamphora are designed to have a symbiotic relationship with frogs. Frogs found in the natural environment of heliamphora will hide under the nectar spoon and snatch any insects that get to close, in turn the frog helps the plant by excreting waste right into the pitcher. This sounds gross but the waste is rich in nutrients that the plant wants. Let me warn you though, heliamphora isnt an easy plant and requires some attention.
    With the frogs would be ideal...I thought from what little reading I've done that that was out of the question....something about only purified water and no fertilizer (frog waste).

Neat part would be that my show tank is 220g...so that should be a fair amount of room.

How do I make it happen?

Someone else is doing it....

He said he's only had to rescue this one frog and wasn't sure he needed to. I have the same species of frog D.leucomelas in my show tank.

Can you ID the plant?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure looks like ventricosa or alata or a cross between those two.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Oh, and my avatar pic is a heliamphora. As you can see, the frog would have a lot of room to get out.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

You do need purified water but I dont think the frog waste would be a big issue as long as you water the plant often. Here is a link for heliamphora care http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post82230.html.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliLover View Post
    not sure looks like ventricosa or alata or a cross between those two.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Oh, and my avatar pic is a heliamphora. As you can see, the frog would have a lot of room to get out.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

You do need purified water but I dont think the frog waste would be a big issue as long as you water the plant often. Here is a link for heliamphora care http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post82230.html.
    Thanks for the link...I'll check that out...and hopefully talk with you some more down the road.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure...I will see what I have and maybe I can send you a little plant for free once you do your research.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Awesome stuff there! How are all your other tanks doing?
    I'd love to see a "tour" post with new shots of each of your setups!

All assorted moss, liverwort and assorted bryophyte donations may be sent to me directly at:

a quick search of bryophyte led me to discovering the name of a liverwort that I have been dying to ID. Thank you for having similar interests!!! ;]

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Progress of Utric fulva's future home, still playing around with the mud levels. Thinking I want a slope and have to allow the mud to dry some to harden up so it will retain the shape more over time when wet. Sounds weird but it seems to work.

What wood is that that you are able to use despite the humidity / constant contact with moist soil?

Very beautiful set ups, extraordinarily beautiful grow room by the way. Truly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewspaperFort View Post
    What wood is that that you are able to use despite the humidity / constant contact with moist soil?
    I prefer cork bark & driftwood myself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewspaperFort View Post

Very beautiful set ups, extraordinarily beautiful grow room by the way. Truly.
    Aquatic quality driftwoods such as African Root and Mopani Wood, they will last decades underwater without much noticable decay. They do decay and leech into the water but the rate is ignorable on the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I prefer cork bark & driftwood myself.
    I've been using cork bark for easy backgrounds and with the wet/humid conditions I tend to create...I not sure of the long term use of it. So far so good.

I trade/sell alot of the plants I'm growing to frog people and the plants seem to do just fine with them. I've been toying with the idea of adding a heli to one of these setups but it will likely be in the spring when I divide up the next H. minor. I just need to figure out how wet I can keep them long term first.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well while the fern Pilularia globulifera is a nice plant it was not a smart move to put it into one of these tanks....So I'll be removing it once I set-up a new home for it.

DSC_0117 by Simprs, on Flickr

Added a few more mini's into this one. Most are orchids so the growth rate is super slow.

DSC_0119 by Simprs, on Flickr

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast