Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Exo-Terra Nano Tall Setups

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really liking these setups a lot. Any updates for us!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    I'm really liking these setups a lot. Any updates for us!
    Not yet, most of the plants in there are orchids and grow slower than snails.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've repaired all the broken photo's in this thread now.

I've been doing better these last few weeks (really bad few months medically) so I'll post an update.

Here is the one I'm still planning on getting Utricularia rostrata started in, but wow it that plant being difficult to get started in there. I'm growing it in very similar conditions/medium without any real problems I just can't get a foothold in this tank. If my health holds out I'll get another division in there by the weekend.

DSC_0011 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utricularia sanderonsii 'Blue' setup

DSC_0010 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Nice and weedy.

DSC_0003 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

So many leaves and only two flowers right now, I rarely have more and 5 at any time. Generally 1-3.

DSC_0005 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

I'm starting on a new one to hold either Utricularia geminiloba, humboltii or what I believe is alpina, the medium will be a lot wetter in this one. I'm just concerned that a 12" high tank will not be tall enough if the geminiloba or humboltii flowers, the "alpina" would easily fit. I'll have to dig through older photo's and see if I can remember how tall those stalks get. Any comments or suggestions for the Utric would be helpful.

I'll try and get a build log posted for the new one, since I'll be going the great stuff/silicone route for the background with a piece of driftwood and a cork round build in. I'm thinking of a mix of tree fern fibers and sphagnum moss for the medium.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear a positive update on your health and setups. I love these setups. The sandersonii carpet is awesome!

Do you have a recommendation for mud to use in a similar setup? Something similar to the product you are using?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    Glad to hear a positive update on your health and setups. I love these setups. The sandersonii carpet is awesome!

Do you have a recommendation for mud to use in a similar setup? Something similar to the product you are using?
    Sorry I haven't been able to find anything similar in the states or a source online for it. I know there are a few aquatic "muds" that planted aquarium people are using with good results, but I haven't tested it myself since I have a good supply of my own mud.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat set-ups. I'd like to get a couple Exo-terra nano tanks but they tend to be a bit more pricey than I like.

That Pilularia globulifera is pretty nifty -- though I can understand in your particular setup I can understand your disappointment. Had you thought about retaining a clump in that terr -- along the background -- but limiting its expansion by potting it? If it could handle a lot of "foot traffic" (or more accurately "belly traffic") it might be useful in a snake tank.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started the new one today so here are the photo's.

DSC_0532 by randallsimpson, on Flickru

If you have never worked with silicone before the stuff is VERY sticky and will get on anything you barely touch. I always wear rubber disposable gloves when working with it. Also it has a very strong smell so working in a well ventilated area is a must.

Here I covered the back of the tank with 100% black silicone, a very thin layer is all that is needed. For smaller setups like this one the silicone layer is not as useful as it is in larger ones. The silicone holds onto the glass better than the great stuff will, so adding the layer will help the great stuff stay in place. Also, if any of the "background" sides will be visible the silicone will look much better against the glass than the great stuff does. If you get silicone on the non background glass is not a big deal, after it dries a razorblade will take it right off.

DSC_0533 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

And now I have to wait 24 hours for it cure.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Neat set-ups. I'd like to get a couple Exo-terra nano tanks but they tend to be a bit more pricey than I like.

That Pilularia globulifera is pretty nifty -- though I can understand in your particular setup I can understand your disappointment. Had you thought about retaining a clump in that terr -- along the background -- but limiting its expansion by potting it? If it could handle a lot of "foot traffic" (or more accurately "belly traffic") it might be useful in a snake tank.
    They do go on sale about twice a year at the chain pet stores, but even then they are a lot more than standard tanks. For me the doors are worth it.

The Pilularia sends out runners and would have to be trimmed to keep confined. I've sold a lot of it to frog people and they seem to like it, but I've never had any experiences with traffic over it.

I moved the Pilularia into a larger setup and remade the Exo-terra, here it is new Exo-terra. I'm still working on getting it planted and I'm not yet happy with the medium height/moisture. I think I need to remove a 1/4" of the medium to allow more standing water before I move in a Utricularia.

DSC_0535 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast