Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Exo-Terra Nano Tall Setups

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive never understood why smaller tanks are just as expensive at larger tanks. 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks are almost always more expensive than 10 gallons.

i like the nanos too and would love to get a couple. ill look for them to go onsale. i like the doors as well. i wish i could find some of those vertical dart frog kits that will fit smaller tanks. 10g is as small as i seen them. then again a $20 kit adaptor and a $15 10g tank puts you right back to what a nano would cost!

ill toy around with some mud ideas. ill let you know if i make any headway.

great tip about skipping the great stuff step and using silicon on glass.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    The Pilularia sends out runners and would have to be trimmed to keep confined.
    Pretty typical behavior for ferns in general. Particularly if the runners are often sent out below the substrate, planting a potted fern, IME, greatly reduces the amount of trimming one needs to do. No way to completely restrain a fern though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    ive never understood why smaller tanks are just as expensive at larger tanks. 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks are almost always more expensive than 10 gallons.
    Yeah, that's the part that always "kills" me, too. I'm not sure if the logic is that manufacturers feel there is less of a market for them (which if they would lower the prices the volume sold would likely go up considerably, I suspect), or if they feel it is a "new" enough idea to merit charging more.

ill toy around with some mud ideas. ill let you know if i make any headway.
    Though I've never tried this, I wonder if covering the mud used with a plastic mesh -- like the mesh bags some fruits or veggies are sold in -- would be useful in keeping it where and how one wants it. A thinner layer could be laid over that to hid the mesh and plant roots should easily be able to pass through it.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the progress from this afternoon. I had to silicone the driftwood in place so I could turn the tank on its side to fill the background with great stuff.
    DSC_0536

If you have never used great stuff before I would highly recommend buying the cheapest can you can find and playing around with it before adding it to a tank or around driftwood. Great stuff is very sticky and expands. Here is the tank after I added what I hope is the proper amount of great stuff. In a few hours I'll know if I did it right.
    DSC_0537

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is because of the labor involved. The cost of the glass is negligible, but a small tank requires just as much labor to build as a medium one. If anything they are more difficult because you have to fit your hands in a smaller space without smudging the glass with silicone or hitting a freshly done seam while moving to the next. I charged a premium for smaller sizes when I was building custom vivs for the extra trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same exo-terra tall, for some big nepenthes. I just had to remove the original lid, and put a glass on top.
    Maiden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great naturalistic setups you have there! I am using the same construction technique right now on a 29 gallon Rhacodactylus build.
    My Growlist

Good Growing!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some photo's after the great stuff has had time to expand and harden.
    DSC_0541
    DSC_0542

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugh! i want to make one sooooo bad! any advice on setting up one of my own?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast