What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exo-Terra Nano Tall Setups

I've recently started moving the bulk of my plants into more landscaped setups in an effort to reduce my weekly maintanance time. So partly due to practical reasons and mainly due to odd compulsions I have :banana2:.

First up is this one that I'm planning on allowing Utricularia rostrata to run amok in. So far I have not had the Utric stick, I'm being very careful not to introduce another Utric or moss. Just added the 2nd flower stalk earlier this week.

Utricularia rostrata Project 22 Oct 2011 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is the one I am currently working on. I should have all the piece together this weekend and start adding plants next week.

Utricularia fulva Project Setup 1 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh nice, love your terrarium setups. What's going in the empty one?

Terrestrial utrics do not seem to latch on wood very well. If I may make a suggestion, use a moss such as Java moss (found at tropical fish stores) and place it on the wood. Put the utricularia on top of the moss. use fishing line to tie both the moss and utric on the wood. By doing this the moss will provide an anchor/substrate to grow off of.

Oh nice, love your terrarium setups. What's going in the empty one?

Utricularia fulva will be in the mud, the rest will depend on what I can fit were.

Terrestrial utrics do not seem to latch on wood very well. If I may make a suggestion, use a moss such as Java moss (found at tropical fish stores) and place it on the wood. Put the utricularia on top of the moss. use fishing line to tie both the moss and utric on the wood. By doing this the moss will provide an anchor/substrate to grow off of.

I'm mainly putting the Utric's in the medium, I don't really want them to climb onto the wood area much as they will chock out orchids given the chance. There is a reason moss is a four letter word...I've went to great lengths to keep it out of these tanks :-D.

hahaha. ahhhh..... okeydokey. :lol:

Awesome stuff there! How are all your other tanks doing?
I'd love to see a "tour" post with new shots of each of your setups! :)

All assorted moss, liverwort and assorted bryophyte donations may be sent to me directly at:

:lol:

Looks like a great start. Can't wait to see updates.

Awesome stuff there! How are all your other tanks doing?
I'd love to see a "tour" post with new shots of each of your setups! :)

All assorted moss, liverwort and assorted bryophyte donations may be sent to me directly at:

:lol:

Well its not a tour but here is the top half where these tanks are at. Can't really get a photo of the bottom part.

DSC_0500 by Simprs, on Flickr

As for mosses and other evil stuff, just send me some postage, I'm about to remove alot of these.

There is a piece of driftwood under there somewhere....

DSC_0496 by Simprs, on Flickr

HC and random stuff...note the barren area...someone wanted some...rrrriiiiiipppppp :-D.

DSC_0497 by Simprs, on Flickr

About 50% emersed growth riccia and 25% some type of grassy thing. On a side note. I love emersed growth riccia, I was not aware it grew that way. I'll definately be using it in the future.

DSC_0499 by Simprs, on Flickr

There all done with the EVIL STUFF!!!

Anyway back on topic, here is another one setup for Utricularia sandsonii 'Blue'

Utricularia sandersonii 'Blue' Project 29 Oct 2011 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is the volunteer all ready putting on weight, started with 1-2 leaves.

Utricularia sandersonii 'Blue' 29 Oct 2011 Close-up by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Progress of Utric fulva's future home, still playing around with the mud levels. Thinking I want a slope and have to allow the mud to dry some to harden up so it will retain the shape more over time when wet. Sounds weird but it seems to work.

Utricularia fulva Project Setup 2 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love the tanks - thanks for the peek at your operation!

What kinda mud mix are you using? A Peat & Kitty Litter blend I do my backgrounds with or something else? I've filled a few larger undrained clear solo cups with the P/KL and potted up my terrestrial Utric collection in it (U. fulva included) they do seem to like it.

And yes, I will buy your bryophyte pickings, send me a postage invoice to my PM box when ever you're ready! :)

About 50% emersed growth riccia and 25% some type of grassy thing. On a side note. I love emersed growth riccia, I was not aware it grew that way. I'll definately be using it in the future.
Did I read somewhere that emersed riccia is just liverwort? If so, I can give you a bunch of it - I classify it with the mosses & other green vermin ... :censor:

Do you have any of the white sandersonii? Amazing how floriforous it is ....:0o:

Beautiful tanks btw - love your creativity! :hail:

Riccia fluritans is a form of aquatic liverwort, IIRC there is another form of Riccia but I don't recall what the difference is perhaps just a bit larger.

As long as the environment is humid/wet enough (and don't have critters eating it) you can get it colonizing out of water. Marty who owns Mist King showed on the frog forum colonized a big 90 gallon with just riccia of course he had it misting/raining a few times a day in there. I had a good "shore" of Riccia but the crabs and mystery snails made short work of it. LOL

Love the tanks - thanks for the peek at your operation!

What kinda mud mix are you using? A Peat & Kitty Litter blend I do my backgrounds with or something else? I've filled a few larger undrained clear solo cups with the P/KL and potted up my terrestrial Utric collection in it (U. fulva included) they do seem to like it.

And yes, I will buy your bryophyte pickings, send me a postage invoice to my PM box when ever you're ready! :)

The mud is a packaged product by a Japanese company we tried out many years ago while in that country and liked it, so we stocked up and alot of it came back with us. I've been hoarding it ever since. So far no luck finding it anywhere to get more.

I'm growing my U. fulva on top of the mud and it seems happy.

I'll send a PM later today about the EVIL STUFF!

Did I read somewhere that emersed riccia is just liverwort? If so, I can give you a bunch of it - I classify it with the mosses & other green vermin ... :censor:

Do you have any of the white sandersonii? Amazing how floriforous it is ....:0o:

Beautiful tanks btw - love your creativity! :hail:

I have enough of random green :censor::censor::censor: already.

Yea I have the white sandersonii growing in few places but with the silly slow growth of the 'Blue' I wanted to give it alot of room to "hopefully" help it out and then the silly plant starts growing upwards :confused:.

I've recently started moving the bulk of my plants into more landscaped setups in an effort to reduce my weekly maintanance time. So partly due to practical reasons and mainly due to odd compulsions I have :banana2:.

First up is this one that I'm planning on allowing Utricularia rostrata to run amok in. So far I have not had the Utric stick, I'm being very careful not to introduce another Utric or moss. Just added the 2nd flower stalk earlier this week.

Here is the one I am currently working on. I should have all the piece together this weekend and start adding plants next week.

Wow, I really like the more natural look. I'm new to the board but keep dart frogs in natural vivs and would prefer a natural look to the CPs displays. Do you have any build threads or more information on your setups?

@Mntneer Keep in mind that while a more "natural" look is more visually appealing, it is harder to move plants or take one out if you want to trade/sell/give it away. Also, with the soil you have more limitations on the plants you can grow. That in mind, I would love to see a natural looking setup with helis.

@Mntneer Keep in mind that while a more "natural" look is more visually appealing, it is harder to move plants or take one out if you want to trade/sell/give it away. Also, with the soil you have more limitations on the plants you can grow. That in mind, I would love to see a natural looking setup with helis.

I'm sure I'm guilty of champagne desires on beer knowledge. One thing I have going for me is that I'm new to all this. ALL of the plants are interesting...even the ones folks with more experience/knowledge have out grown.

The other thing is I have oodles of aquaria, cork bark, sphagnum, peat, coco, foggers etc.

I think my approach is going to be to settle on plants that will grow in the environment I know I can provide rather than getting my heart set on a particular plant and then attempting to make it happy.

I keep dart frogs and can maintain mid 90% humidity with upper 70s temps. With or without small computer fans circulating the air inside. With that environment in my frog room what are good choices for beer knowlege? I'd also really like to try the natural looking enclosures...I guess that's the champagne desires :).

Dare I say it but you could possibly grow a heliamphora with your frogs... The temps and humidity are ok and the frogs wont be eaten. Heliamphora are designed to have a symbiotic relationship with frogs. Frogs found in the natural environment of heliamphora will hide under the nectar spoon and snatch any insects that get to close, in turn the frog helps the plant by excreting waste right into the pitcher. This sounds gross but the waste is rich in nutrients that the plant wants. Let me warn you though, heliamphora isnt an easy plant and requires some attention.

Dare I say it but you could possibly grow a heliamphora with your frogs... The temps and humidity are ok and the frogs wont be eaten. Heliamphora are designed to have a symbiotic relationship with frogs. Frogs found in the natural environment of heliamphora will hide under the nectar spoon and snatch any insects that get to close, in turn the frog helps the plant by excreting waste right into the pitcher. This sounds gross but the waste is rich in nutrients that the plant wants. Let me warn you though, heliamphora isnt an easy plant and requires some attention.

With the frogs would be ideal...I thought from what little reading I've done that that was out of the question....something about only purified water and no fertilizer (frog waste).

Neat part would be that my show tank is 220g...so that should be a fair amount of room.

How do I make it happen?

Someone else is doing it....

xxx.jpg

He said he's only had to rescue this one frog and wasn't sure he needed to. I have the same species of frog D.leucomelas in my show tank.

Can you ID the plant?

not sure looks like ventricosa or alata or a cross between those two.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Oh, and my avatar pic is a heliamphora. As you can see, the frog would have a lot of room to get out.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

You do need purified water but I dont think the frog waste would be a big issue as long as you water the plant often. Here is a link for heliamphora care http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post82230.html.

not sure looks like ventricosa or alata or a cross between those two.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Oh, and my avatar pic is a heliamphora. As you can see, the frog would have a lot of room to get out.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

You do need purified water but I dont think the frog waste would be a big issue as long as you water the plant often. Here is a link for heliamphora care http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post82230.html.

Thanks for the link...I'll check that out...and hopefully talk with you some more down the road.

Sure...I will see what I have and maybe I can send you a little plant for free once you do your research.

Back