Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grow shelf basic and upgraded

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GrowinOld,

Thanks for the reply. I plan to line the shelves with some foam. The fans are more for summer time when the air is hot and stale. The main reason I enclosed the shelves was to keep the light in. Neighbors were giving me odd looks, and I could see the outline of the shelves from outside (with shaders), they probably though I'm growing weed or something.

The setup is full of holes now. I will fix all of it when I get the foam to line the shelves. I did notice the drop in humidity with fans on

Update:
    Fans are a must if the shelves are enclosed like this. Temps went up in the morning to 83F with fans off and 73F in the room. Humidity fell to 30%.

Update 2
    The side panel with fans fell off..... The problem is that the fixtures are longer than 48" actually so they push on the panel and .... I got some of this (1/4" weather strips were only 10' and 8 bucks each ...) and will line the edges and shelves with the foam. The original post will be updated later
    Last edited by gill_za; 11-07-2011 at 12:08 PM.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in how this works out gill...I'd like to update my grow rack soon (money issue here too, figures).
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet looking setup.... the foam panels make construction so clean looking

congrats.... and yep, you are running to the same issues most do

you will discover micro enviroments can be found even at the shelf level...

Likely examples
    Center of shelf = maximum light, medium airflow, medium humidity, maximum cooling
    End of shelf = maximum temp, lower light, minimum humidity
    Beginning of shelf = maximum airflow, lower light, maximum humidity

Even moving the plants around has an effect.
    If you look closely at my heli shelf you will notice the plants get taller the further away they are from the fans.
    This is to prevent turbulent flow and vortices from occuring as much as possible.

It can make a dramatic difference and prevent "hot zones"

Nice work!
    Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 10-31-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av8tor1,

What did you use to mount and fix the panels to the shelves? Im having a miserable time doing it.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use aluminum tape, but where the ligh is the ends are not closed in... look carefully at my images

aluminum furnace tape is sorta expensive but man does it work well

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

If you really want to box it in completely, I would recommend you cut some strips a couple inches wide the same height as the panel. Then secure these to the panel at a width that matches the racks vertical support bars. You could stack these strips however tall you needed to get the clearance required. Then simply secure the panel as you normally would have with the aluminum tape.

(at least that is what comes to mind)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the tape as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    i use aluminum tape, but where the ligh is the ends are not closed in... look carefully at my images

aluminum furnace tape is sorta expensive but man does it work well

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

If you really want to box it in completely, I would recommend you cut some strips a couple inches wide the same height as the panel. Then secure these to the panel at a width that matches the racks vertical support bars. You could stack these strips however tall you needed to get the clearance required. Then simply secure the panel as you normally would have with the aluminum tape.

(at least that is what comes to mind)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks great! Nice rig! I love that foam paneling - I wish I had a car so I could go find myself some. The mini blind look is snazzy, isn't it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeap, when it is all done it probably will look good. If I need to move this shelf upstairs, however, I'm in trouble. Will have to reassemble everything and it will take as much time to put it together again.
    I think using double layer mylar foil like this or this with foam panel inserted to mount the fans in is what I will do next time. There is a possibility of renovation in my apartment soon and I will have to take all of this apart...
    Last edited by gill_za; 11-07-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast