Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone distill their own water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone distill their own water?

Is it worth it to build a water distiller that uses greenhouse heating?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't calculate the energy costs to boil water and then cool the steam in a condenser, but they must be pretty high. Do you use a lot of water?

I would think renting a mixed bed DI column and activated carbon column from a water treatment company would be cheaper. They come with an indicator light which tells you when you need an exchange column. The carbon is there to protect the resin from Chlorine in your water. If you have untreated well water, you would not need one for the Chlorine. The company can advise you what you would need.

How about melting snow? That is fairly clean pure water.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes... wayyyyyy too much work. If you really need access to a large volume of clean water, buy a cheap RO/DI unit. With (a whole lot of) Butch's help, I bought and put together a cheap RO/DI unit back in... June? I think? and it's still pumping out 0ppm water, and I've been using it for... I dunno... 30 or 40 gallons a week since then? Greatest investment ever.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
    Yikes... wayyyyyy too much work. If you really need access to a large volume of clean water, buy a cheap RO/DI unit. With (a whole lot of) Butch's help, I bought and put together a cheap RO/DI unit back in... June? I think? and it's still pumping out 0ppm water, and I've been using it for... I dunno... 30 or 40 gallons a week since then? Greatest investment ever.
    Congrats on the outstanding performance Reaper, you should do a detailed thread on your experiences with the project.... it would be so much help to so many others yet to come.

It really pays to do it right the first time, the long term cost benefits pay off big time.

My system has been putting out 0ppm water for over 6 years now with only one membrane and bead change. I not only use mine for my plants but also for my ultrasonic humidifiers, icemaker, coffee, tea and cooking.

(btw with the time change coming up, its a great way to remember to do your semiannual prefilter changes)

Butch
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 11-01-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please a detailed list would be awesome! Do this this and this for an awesome system. In just lucky my water is acceptable to my plants lol but I would love an RO/DI to serve my house too like butch described!!!!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A distiller would be way too much work. I have a 150 gpd RO unit I use for the Nepenthes cooling misters and as plant water. Only maintence would be changing out the filters once a year. Hope this helps.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing instructions somewhere for how to build a solar distiller for cheap... That seems like it could be a pretty good investment for people in sunny climates. Something like this one, which puts out three gallons of distilled water a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Natalie, that was the same site that got me thinking about solar distillers I played around with the thought of installing something similar on the backyard patio roof.

jerrysmith, I don't use much water, about a 1~2 liters a month. I don't have very many plants to look after. I also use buckets to collect water when it rains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast