Well, I got it pretty much set up. Top is cut and drilled for exhaust. Drilled holes in the right side about half way down and installed the fan (with masking tape for now, once I get the final position worked out, I'll hit it with a dab of silicone). The pump/drain system is working as planned. The humidity varies based on the distance of the fan from the holes in the glass, but it's holding pretty steadily above 90%. As long as it holds that way for 24 hrs or so, I'll get the whole thing cleaned up and finalized and put the plants in.
Thanks for all the guidance and support!
A couple pics just for the sake of being thorough.
And... the final product!
I've got an air pump in the reservoir to keep the water oxygenated. The whole thing is holding steadily at 95% humidity. The next step will be getting a good light for it, but that will have to wait until I get some money.
Very clean design.... sweet looking
How are the temps and how are the temps if the fan/power supply was to fail?
Thanks, Butch! That means a lot, dude.
1. The drain hoses have to be above the water line in the reservoir in order to start flowing properly.
2. This was a little counter-intuitive to me, but the humidity actually goes down while the terrarium is flooded. I can only think that it might be due to less surface area vs. all the little clay pellets.
Neither is a huge deal, but seemed worthy of note.
I wanted to put a link to this here. It's largely the same thread as this posted on a fish forum for added feedback. If you start at post 29 though, there's some pretty cool stuff about lighting.
And the pic of the minor:
---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------
If the fans fail, the temp gets up to about 78.